ZX ignition switch problem????

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tireless

ZX ignition switch problem????

Post by tireless »

Hi everyone, new to the site but amazed at the level of knowledge available.

I bought a 1992 ZX 1.9d 2 days and everything is fine. Drove the car in to town today fine and when I returned put the key in the ignition and the dashboard lights came on but it would not start (i.e. starter motor not spinning).

To cut a long story short RAC chap came out run a direct positive supply from the battery to the starter motor and she burst in to song. This is how I have been successfully starting it from then on.

So I believe the problem to be with the ignition switch after researching this wonderful site and want to know is there an easy ay to replace the switch alone (without changing the barrel) or can I snip the cables (is there only 2) from the ignition switch and wire a new switch???

If so does the switch have to be heat resistant or can I use a basic toggle switch???

Some one mentioned fitting a relay , can some one explain the type of relay, where I would get one, the connections please and IS IT SAFE????

Is it an easy job to do or can someone recommend a good garage and rough price in the Cheshire area (ideally Crewe)??

Thanks for your help in advance!!! :roll:
chemexhants
My Cars:

Post by chemexhants »

Plenty of advice already on the site but the easiest solution is to buy a new ignition switch. Remove the trim behind the steering wheel, the switch is held in place by 1 screw and a spring clip. Unplug the switch from the loom connector and refit in reverse. About 30 minutes work from start to finish.

Stephen
1997 ZX SX 1.9TD 140k miles
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I dont think using a toggle switch to operate the starter solonoid is a good idea! But you could use one of those posh 'Press to start buttons' the latest inovation. (I had one on my 1954 Hillman Minx)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Fitting a relay is a little involved. You got to know how a relay works and how a standard utility relay connects.
£2 will buy you a standard general purpose car relay for horns, extra lights etc. etc. and is exactly what you need.

The relay should be located in vicinity of the starter motor as it effectively drives the starter motor solonoid.
The small relay coil current is then controlled by the ignition switch - via the original starter wire.

Its as safe as anything else involved in the starter circuit.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
tireless

zx Ignition switch problem

Post by tireless »

Hi Guys ,

Thank you all for your prompt replies, that’s what I call service!!!

Out of interest spoke to a mechanic who works on Citroens today who believes the problem could be corrosion where the loom passes through the bulkhead (apparently passes through some in line connector, rather than the ignition switch!!!

Any thoughts???

Thanks
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think you will find that there is a 14? way connector near the battery in the inner wing. On my 1.9D its muddled up with the relay/fuse box next to the battery. Fun to get apart as it has a collar that twists.

I took mine apart - and nearly a year later am undecided what is the problem. It always starts eventually and seemed better once I had taken the plug to bits and re-assembled it. However I found the thing was virtually spotless inside and so did not feel that I had found the problem.

I did disconnect the starter wiring and check it with a meter - and guess what - it worked perfectly - meter read correctly every time I turned the key. Funny thing was the starter did as well when I re-assembled it - so my attentions had simply cleaned the contacts a bit.

Sometimes I can't get it to start - but taking the key out and putting it in again - and it goes - so almost certainly switch and I must cough up and replace it and hopefully the new one will last another 11 years - when it is unlikely to be my problem.
jeremy
tireless

Post by tireless »

:D

Thanks for the advice Jeremy, much appreciated!!