Door locked!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

2.1td
My Cars:

Door locked!

Post by 2.1td »

Here's a swine of a problem! Near side rear door won't open (from outside or inside). Have taken off door panel and outside handle. All rods/connections OK but when activating the lock it sounds like something is loose inside it. I'm afraid that it looks as though the motor has failed in the locked position. Trouble is you have to have the door open to get at the release screws!!!!! Only thing I can think of is to destroy the locking motor through the door handle aperture... unless anyone else knows different? HELP!!! :(
Be careful!
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

With the door card off you should be able to disconnect the linkage that goes from the latch to the lock...its quite fiddly though. The linkage rod has teeth on the side of it and it grips a V shaped device, and you can push it out sideways to disengage it. (Assuming its the same as the front doors)

Perhaps take the card off the opposite door which can be opened and remove/inspect the latch to familiarize yourself with how it goes together ? It's pretty hard to describe in words.

Stupid question - are you sure the door isn't stuck on the rubbers ? I know this sounds crazy, but when I bought my Xantia last year the rear right door was absolutely stuck and wouldn't open. It felt as if it was completely jammed, and no amount of normal pulling or pushing would open it.

When I got it home I kept at it and finally it opened, and I was surprised to discover that the door rubbers had gone sticky and it was simply stuck to them!!! (Something to do with heat affecting the rubbers, and the door never getting opened in normal use)

Even now, if I don't open that door for a few weeks it gets a bit stuck, luckily I usually put my work things in that door so it gets regular opening and closing and that prevents any problem.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Don't know if it's the same on the xantia, but my previous 405 had a similar problem. I took the door card off, removed the plastic protective moulding from the lock assembly, and then removed the screw securing the outside handle assembly.

With a little effort, the outside handle came out quite quickly, allowing me to see the mechanism. ( I then used WD40 and brute force and it opened ).
405 STi Auto Est
Cruise, Aircon, Sunroof
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

usualy if they have not been used for some time the mechanisum becomes dry,so all of the linkages bind against one and other,also if the central locking servo stoped working they can usualy be pushed in and out by hand,if you still think its the servo just take out the two fixing srews that hold it to the inside face of the door,this would proove whether its the servo wich is not part of the lock unit,or the lock its self
regards malcolm
slim123

Post by slim123 »

I have found this to be a problem on quite a few Xantia's.

As malcolm states, first check that it aint just a stuck servo, put your hand on it then lock and unlock, you will feel it work if it does.

The fault is 99% of the time, the lock mechanism has s**t itself !

To remove, take off the door card, then using a hammer and sharp chisel or hardened screwdriver, begin to destroy the plastic of the lock untill you can flick the release, then once the door is open, take out the rest of the bits and replace with a new one. (or one from you local scappy)

When you are giving the plastic a beating, be carefull, I allways put on a pair of safety specs as the plasic will fly off at speed, I took a realy bad hit in the eye once, hence the specs.

Regards
Slim
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

before buttchering,bashing and bodging exhaust all subttle methods first,most of the time in my experiance its just down to driedout mechanisums,first thing i would try is give it a good soaking with duck oil and then sray grease then keep trying to work the lock all directions
regards malcolm
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Yes I've experienced a couple of doors stuck solid to the rubber, its amazing how much strength you need to pull it back off.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
2.1td
My Cars:

Sorted!

Post by 2.1td »

Well, normality has been restored! :lol: The lock had failed. Citroen price for replacement lock £111 + VAT!!!! Breakers price £5 inc'!!!! Hadn't got time or energy to faf (sp?) around with it so got local garage to fit it today. Cost £40 which I thought was quite reasonable. So, thanks for your thoughts/advice, job done..... until the next time! :roll:
Be careful!