Particular type of spanner for caliper nipples?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

LeeDJC
My Cars:

Particular type of spanner for caliper nipples?

Post by LeeDJC »

Is there a particular type I should be using for these? I'm going to change the fluid in my Xantia over the weekend, so want to bleed the brakes through.

Or do I just use a normal 8mm (or whatever the size is) ring spanner?

Cheers :)
2004 Berlingo Multispace HDI, 105000
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Best spanner is one that fits a large nut MIG welded over the original so that the original can be removed.

No special spanner - ring spanner fine but the usual trouble is the thing has siezed and breaks off.
jeremy
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Yes an 8mm ring spanner is what I use. I tend to 'crack' the nipple first, reposition the spanner then attach a pipe.

Steve.
not applicable
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I usually give the nipple a tap with a hammer, end on before loosening.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Make sure you use a spanner with only 6 flats, rather than twelve - much less likely to round it off. Give the nipple a good wire brushing then soak it in penetrating oil (Plus gas is much better than WD-40 at this!). Give the nipple a tap on the end with a small hammer, then put the spanner on and hit it with the heel of your hand (not too hard!). If it won't go easily then you will need to wait a bit and see if the Plus Gas has done the trick, if not then you need to alternately heat the nipple with a blow lamp then cool it with plus gas. Eventually it will fall out - but it may take some time! If you just jump in and swing on the spanner with continuous torque, the nipple WILL snap off, no question!
Richard W
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

One point to add-8mm spanners and sockets seem to vary in size, quite a few being only approximately 8mm: the nipples are made of soft French cheese anyway, and a badly fitting spanner does more harm than good: buy a decent one!
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Essential piece of kit for the tool box is an 8mm flare nut spanner which will be more accurate than a standard ring spanner and has deeper six point shoulders. Worth getting 10 and 11mm spanners as well if you like playing Citroens.
If you think that the bleed nipple will not move with a spanner, try a six point 8mm deep socket with a tee bar or handle, either 1/4 or 3/8 drive. In line torque is less likely to cause the nipple to shear, unlike the radial tension caused by using a spanner. I have never sheared off a nipple in over 30 years of playing with cars using this method.
If you want to use some penetrating oil, try either diesel or auto trans fluid, much cheaper than all the stuff sold in those silly little cans, and they will work their way into all cavities.
Makes of flare nut spanners? Snap-on, Blue Point or Facom. Most of the others are either made of lead or are not accurate.
IKBA, Handyman