Cheap welder!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Cheap welder!

Post by Kowalski »

Aldi have an arc welder coming in on the 21st September

http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/productnl_388.html

I know these aren't the easiest of things to use but it does seem cheap. It even comes with a "how to weld" pamphlet, you'll be able to burn holes through your rusty bits and thin metal in no time flat!
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

For that price it must originate from a sweatshop in China! They'll probably sell loads of them to people who think they can use them for fixing their cars.......... #-o

Leave well alone and repeat after me-mig,mig,mig,mig....... :!:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I concur! Stay away! Spend a reasonable sum on a MIG.

All purchasers will do is end up doing is blowing more holes in their cars, blinding themselves and more than likely burning themselves too..

IMO, these welders are useless rubbish. Their voltage regulation is very poor and it can be incredibly difficult to strike an arc on their low (but not very low) current settings. The temptation is to then wind up the current to strike an arc and suddenly your workpiece is more fresh air than metal.

I'd be worried about the quality of the eye protection supplied at this price. Arc-Eye is nasty indeed and an arc welder like this makes a much more intense arc than a MIG or TIG. This the eye protection has to be very good.

I really wonder about the logic behind a supermarket chain selling something really quite dangerous like this :?

I have an arc welder that will weld very thin metal with practice. It is very old, very large, very heavy and filled with about five gallons of oil. It has an 80V tap for the thin stuff and lift-up-and-rotate tap changers for the various currents and voltages. On the 50V tap it'll also weld a battleship. The lights dim when the arc strikes :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

citrojim wrote:I have an arc welder that will weld very thin metal with practice. It is very old, very large, very heavy and filled with about five gallons of oil. It has an 80V tap for the thin stuff and lift-up-and-rotate tap changers for the various currents and voltages. On the 50V tap it'll also weld a battleship. The lights dim when the arc strikes :lol:
Sounds like an Oxford to me...my last place of work still has 6 or 7 of them, bought second hand in the 60's! They're big, heavy, but as you say they'll weld anything from 20-odd gauge to solid
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

philhoward wrote:
citrojim wrote:I have an arc welder that will weld very thin metal with practice. It is very old, very large, very heavy and filled with about five gallons of oil. It has an 80V tap for the thin stuff and lift-up-and-rotate tap changers for the various currents and voltages. On the 50V tap it'll also weld a battleship. The lights dim when the arc strikes :lol:
Sounds like an Oxford to me...my last place of work still has 6 or 7 of them, bought second hand in the 60's! They're big, heavy, but as you say they'll weld anything from 20-odd gauge to solid
Absolutely spot on! It is indeed an Oxford 8)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

If they ever decide to have a clearout, i'm having one..i struggle on (occasionally) with a cheapo SIP arc welder, but it's only really any good for welding your gate back together. I did manage to weld a plate on the sill of my mini years ago, but a pigeon could have done a better job i'm sure!

Had my first go with a MIG a few days ago - too many dials! Saying that; i did manage a decent weld within 10 minutes. I used to be happiest with gas welding, so might try TIG at some point - i've been told its very similar.