Aux belt "escapes" aside

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

XANTIA_ML

Aux belt "escapes" aside

Post by XANTIA_ML »

Hi everybody!

Old belt "died".
After replacing I suddenly disclosed that the new one escapes (on the crankshaft's flywheel-to car's outside, on tensioner-inside). :shock:
First slipping (4-6mm)-on tensioner even when crancshaft rotated by hand 0.5-1 turn.
It's possible also to see 0.2-0.5 mm axial flywheel's beating and slight tensioner's fluctation when moved by fingers.

What i have replace? Both shows unnormal behavour and each cost appr $80 :(
Please, share yours experience.

Thanks ahead. :D
XANTIA 97 2.0i AUTO SX 133 Kkm
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if your belt is moving sideways it is either far to tight or the tensioner bearing is worn out allowing it to kick of to one side
regards malcolm
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Do you have a disintegrating two part crank pulley?

The crank pulley is made from two pieces of steel, an inner and an outer and rubber between the two parts. They do come apart, check that yours is still intact, it should feel solid.

If it isn't a crank pulley problem, its a problem with either a collapsed bearing on something e.g. tensioner or something is loose or out of alignment, pushing the belt off.
XANTIA_ML

Post by XANTIA_ML »

The pulley seems OK, tensioner's bearing-too.
I also checked pump and alternator-no signs of loosing.
The question is-can tensioner loose it's aligning in the joint, where spring fitted in?
Did anybody face this problem?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Something is obviously running out of line. Are you sure that the alternator bolts tight? If you watch the belt with the engine running, you may be able to see that it trying to run off one of the pulleys before the crankshaft. If the crankshaft pully is the first one that it is trying to run off, its likely the one just before it that is out of line.
XANTIA_ML

Post by XANTIA_ML »

That's exactly a problem.
The first visible "runout" pulley is tensioner. It is located next after crankshaft.
Additionally-all "working" pulleys are with grooves and idle-without them-so the situation is hard for diagnostic.
It seems I have start replacing from the chippest details and progress according the price... :roll:
Ah, I forgot-everything OK when turning crankshaft in opposite direction (of cause by hand :wink: ).
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sounds like the idler or tensioner pulley then. Try taking the belt off or slackening it and see if there is any movement in the pulleys.
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Most likely the tensioner pulley (80 squid) Don't whatever you do.... buy a belt from Halfrauds, they are the WRONG size... far too tight and the reason for the pulley bearings to fail.
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
XANTIA_ML

Post by XANTIA_ML »

Hi!
Sorry for late report. :oops:
Kowalsky was right: two parts of the pulley were disintegrated. It was impossible "to feel this"-two parts was still coherent, but outer slipped 3-4 mm in engine's direction. :?
It was difficult for me to detect this-I never seen new one.
Finally after pulley's replacing the belt find his place, :!: but it was not run on the center of tensioner roller. After roller's replacement ($20 more) belt runs well.
So I think, that tensioner roller's wear out bearing contributed to pulley's fault by creating of axial force. :idea:

All the best :D
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think the theory of the auxilliary belt tensioner causing failure of the bonded crSimply a case of Rubber Fatigueankshaft pulley doesn to work.

Just look at the sizes involved. The bonding of the crankshaft pulley is about 1 inch from front to back (25.4mm), and about 1/4 inch (5mm) thick. Its not there for decoration but to do a job which is damp out crankshaft vibrations - and from the difference in noises from my BX 1.7TD (solid pulley) and ZX 1.9D (Bonded pulley) it does actually make a difference.

The damping is effected by the slight movements of the outer (flywheel) part in relation to the inner (crank) part and I'm sure you can imagine over a high mileage how often they have moved in relation to each other. - Simply a case of Rubber Fatigue!

ball bearings in tensioners have a finite life too - which means that they wear out - motoring is an expensive pastime!
jeremy
XANTIA_ML

Post by XANTIA_ML »

It seems-I did not explane myself good-sorry.

Of cause -the main reason of pulley fault if rubber's wear due it's damping activity as You described+high temperature+AC compressor+...

When I told about tensioner roller's contribution-I meant the following: pulley's outer ring slipped to engine direction after disintegration-the same direction belt slipped on the distorted roller with wearied bearing. It means, that there is an axial component of belt tension force and it creates axial stress additionally to tangential. Extent of such contibution- :roll:

Hope, now my explanation is more successful (oh, my English :oops: )

Regards :D
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

XANTIA_ML wrote:It seems-I did not explane myself good-sorry.

Of cause -the main reason of pulley fault if rubber's wear due it's damping activity as You described+high temperature+AC compressor+...

When I told about tensioner roller's contribution-I meant the following: pulley's outer ring slipped to engine direction after disintegration-the same direction belt slipped on the distorted roller with wearied bearing. It means, that there is an axial component of belt tension force and it creates axial stress additionally to tangential. Extent of such contibution- :roll:

Hope, now my explanation is more successful (oh, my English :oops: )

Regards :D
:-#
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive