Flare nuts and pipe sizes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Flare nuts and pipe sizes

Post by steelcityuk »

I was going to remove and clean the rear height corrector on my Xantia today but 2 out the 3 flare nuts are mangled. So I'll need to replace the nuts and pipes that are damaged. I've checked previous threads but can't find info on what size pipe and flare nuts I need. I know Pleaides (?) does such parts but are there alternative sources? Do 'normal' brake flare nuts come in suitable sizes. I can borrow a flaring kit from my brother. I've not yet had any of the joints in bits so any tips would be useful.

Thanks.

Steve.
not applicable
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

I have found with all my Citroens that it is easier to get the pipes made up rather than go to all the bother of doing it yourself. I have used most of the independent firms who make the pipes and all offer a good service.

Most pipe flairing tools do not cover the qwerky sizes of some pipes, getting new nuts and seals are also difficult. Some of the flares to the pipe ends are different to standard low pressure hydraulics used in non-Citroen cars.

With seized or mangled nuts (Aww, dear!) I usually use a small pair of Visegrips or Stillsons (pipewrench) in my tool box. Never defeated me yet. Small enough to cope, big enough to work. If you are replacing the pipe, try cutting the pipe about 25.4mm (1 inch in old money) from the nut. It sometimes takes out the stress on the nut and allows better access. If you need to use heat, be careful.

Handyman
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the pipe size is 3.5mm and the covensional flairing tool dose not do citroen pipe ends as they are completly differant to standerd ends,GSF do sell rolls of the corect pipe,nuts and seals but the pipe aint ceap,also if you do this job dont use heat on the hight corector and if un sure just do one pipe at a time,because if you put the pipes back in the wrong holes you will have lots of fun as your suspention will not do what its ment to do
regards malcolm
meexi
My Cars:

Post by meexi »

why dont you just strip and clean the H/C in situ fairly easy to do just remember to keep every thing clean
2004 C3 XTR HDI 16V 92bhp
2004 Xsara Picasso Exclusive HDI 16V 110bhp
1989 Peugeot J5 Hymer B694 2.5td intercooled 8v 96bhp
steelcityuk

Post by steelcityuk »

Thanks for the info. I didn't realise the flairing was different. Maybe I should get quote from an independent for replacing the nuts. I suppose they'll have the right tools. I didn't think about being able to strip the H/C where it was but the state of the flair nuts makes me think that it's good idea to get them done before they need doing and the car's out of use.

Steve.
not applicable
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

if ever i need any pipes i just go to the dealers and buy new ones they are supprisingly cheap, the last one i needed was about £9.00 :)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

my flairing tool is the hand held type pliades sell,but i dont find it flaires the original steel pipes quite as good as it dose copper pipe,if you know what pipes you need citroen sell ready made and shaped pipes exactly like the originals at not a great cost,yes i know these are the front to rears you need and as of yet i have not had the pleasure of doing these on xantias,but i have done plenty of CX,GS/A and BXs
regards malcolm
slim123

Post by slim123 »

As Malcolm says, The hand held flaring tool from Pleiades is a great option, of course the dealers can supply pipes fairly cheap, but not at 10 am on a sunday, this is usualy when you are working on the car and of course bust a pipe.

The pipe I use is the 3.5 cupro nickel, fittings are the same as Citroen ones apart from that they are nickel plated and have a 10mm hex, to take a decent spanner.

My suggestion is allways to get yourself a small roll of pipe, a bag of fittings, some seals and a flaring tool.

It is worth pointing out that the flaring tool works on 3.5mm pipe so when flaring up the original pipe, you do need to remove the plastic coating on the pipe as this makes the pipe size slightly larger and the results although will work fine, will not look as good.

Look up the bits on www.citroen-hydraulics.com or give pleiades a ring on 01487 831239.

Regards
Slim
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Unlike conventional brake fittings Citroen special hydraulic fittings (with rubber like seal) should not be done up very tight. The torque settings are given in Haynes - but I doubt if anyone has the correct wrench/spanner - and a moderate pull on a normal length open ended spanner should be adequate.
jeremy
steelcityuk

Post by steelcityuk »

Thanks for the info all.

I've had a look on Pleiades site but can't see an hand held flaring tool. Maybe I should get some prices from a dealer. I suppose I could change all 3 pipes that go into the HC. I'll need to spend a bit more time finding out where the pipes run, 2 of them are quite short. Not sure about the third one though.

Steve.
not applicable
ellevie
My Cars:

Post by ellevie »

steelcityuk wrote:I've had a look on Pleiades site but can't see an hand held flaring tool... Steve.
Here's the flaring tools: http://citroen-hydraulics.com/store/ago ... peFittings
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

Hi I recently had to repair a burst pipe on my xantia ( front to back) I priced a local indi , would have been cheaper to post car first class to france, so I bought the flairing tool and stuff from plaedes , cost about £70 all told but you'll have it forever. bite the bullet and buy it, you wont regret it and you will help keep a good guy in business. p.s. the service is fantastic . regards john.