New tyres on my Xantia

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

New tyres on my Xantia

Post by CitroJim »

When I bought my Xantia it had Pug 205 1.9 GTi 15" Speedline alloys on it shod with 195/65 R 15 types made by some obscure outfit in Russia. They were too big as the rear tyres contacted the leading edge of the rear wheelarch when the suspension was on high setting. As they were nearly new on the car and being a little on the parsemonious side I put up with them until I got the fronts down to the wear indicators. In truth they were awful. I was delighted when they finally wore down and I could justify their replacement.

I planned to re-tyre the Speedlines with something that would suit my 205GTi as I intened to fit them on that. I got a set of Pirelli P6000 195/55 R 15 tyres. Only then did I discover that the "Pepperpots" on the GTi won't fit the Xantia due to the front disk size so the Speedlines and Pirellis stay on the Xantia. Not that I worry as the Xantia looks nice with Speedlines even if the new tyre are a bit extreme on a TD.

Until today I have not had a proper chance to try these new tyres. What a difference :D I never knew just how well a Xantia could handle on good tyres. The difference is astounding and I'm still grinning after a good blast around the twisty stuff. Hustling the Xantia around bendy B roads is nearly as much fun as doing same in the GTi :P The only difference is the Xantia is a bit more comfy doing it :)

I've no idea what putting 55 section tyres on 15" wheels has done for my speedo calibration but I reckon it's now a bit fast but then that is not such a bad thing in these speed camera times..

I don't care though. These tyres are a pleasure and I'm really enjoying them 8)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

Yea, I never got the reason people put cheapo Nankangs or Debicas on a car. :roll:

I did buy cheap crap when I was a poor student, but it was a false economy as they lasted half as long as an equivalent Michelin or Goodyear...
ImageImage
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

If you can find the budget tyres made by the big manufacturers they are the real bargains. Michelin has a couple of budget brands, I forget exactly the name but I've had a couple on a car and they were the best budget tyres I've had.

My brother has had Debicas, he complained about them almost non stop.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I've got a pair of Fate tyres on the front of my Xantia. They are dreadful, especially on wet roundabouts, and I would get rid of them if I wasn't planning to get a new Xantia soon.

I especially hate seeing budget tyres on newish cars, IMO that's one of the first steps on the road to bangerdom.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.