Xantia gearboxes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mcgregor
My Cars:

Xantia gearboxes

Post by mcgregor »

Hi
Can anyone tell me at all if the 1.8 16v gearbox is the same as the 1.9 diesel and turbo diesel. I have a mate who's M reg turbo diesel car is beyond economic repair but has the chance of a really cheap S reg 1.8 16v petrol and wants to change the engine over to the turbo diesel hopefully without changing gearboxes as the diesel one aint so good.
Any info gratefully received,
Cheers
Dave
howiedean
My Cars:

Re: Xantia gearboxes

Post by howiedean »

mcgregor wrote:Hi
Can anyone tell me at all if the 1.8 16v gearbox is the same as the 1.9 diesel and turbo diesel. I have a mate who's M reg turbo diesel car is beyond economic repair but has the chance of a really cheap S reg 1.8 16v petrol and wants to change the engine over to the turbo diesel hopefully without changing gearboxes as the diesel one aint so good.
Cheers
Dave
The petrol has lower gear ratios, if you use the petrol engine with a diesel box it might struggle a bit to keep pace. Good motorway cruising though :) You would be better off using the right gearbox.

cheers
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I'd say Howie would be spot on as diesels and 16V petrol's seem to operate at opposite ends of the power scale as regards performance.
Many years ago, I looked at an Isuzu van that had been converted from petrol to diesel. All they did was swapped engines and used adaptor plates apparently and it was so gutless it battled to get into 5th gear on the flat and was a 3rd gear job on the slightest of rises.
Just thought I'd mention it in case you may not be aware of the vast difference wrong gearing can have.
It was the one and only time I've ever driven a diesel with petrol mechanicals grafted in and I wouldn't want to do it again; not a nice drive at all.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

TD gearboxes come along regularly on ebay from anywhere between
10 and 40 quid - worth paying to get a TD S reg bodyshe up and runningl!

Andrew
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

I want to make sure i'm reading this the right way round - TD engine with the petrol box? Might struggle to take off from a standstill, go like a scalded cat to about 75mph, then hit the limiter...plus fuel economy will be terrible! Then again, I might be wrong..TD 'boxes have very wide ratios (as the engines torque is widely spread), and (usually..) have a tall final drive as max torque is delivered at a lot lower revs than a petrol.
mcgregor
My Cars:

Post by mcgregor »

Yup. After reading these thoughts I think he needs to rethink his plan by either keeping the petrol engine or transplanting the whole lot.
Thanks for the info.
Cheers
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Or scouring ebay for a used TD box. often pop up or ask one of the ebay breakers for one. when you drain it flush it well and use a good oil in it as well :)
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Cheers
Dave
have a look at http://tinyurl.com/nrezl

AND DO IT PDQ!!

Andrew
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

andmcit wrote:
Cheers
Dave
have a look at http://tinyurl.com/nrezl

AND DO IT PDQ!!

Andrew
If you let me know where you are I might be able to help. I've got a spare gearbox from my e-bay xantia engine purchase, the engine came complete with a gearbox.

Regards.
Howie

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Along these lines and sorry to hijack your thread by the way :)

Dopes anyone know of any 6 speeder boxs that would fit the 1.9td at all as in the newer ones fitted to certain citroens or the van counterparts at all?
mcgregor
My Cars:

Post by mcgregor »

"If you let me know where you are I might be able to help. I've got a spare gearbox from my e-bay xantia engine purchase, the engine came complete with a gearbox."

Thanks but my mate lives in Aberdeenshire which I doubt is anywhere near you. Mind you you never know.
Dave
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

KP wrote:Along these lines and sorry to hijack your thread by the way :)

Dopes anyone know of any 6 speeder boxs that would fit the 1.9td at all as in the newer ones fitted to certain citroens or the van counterparts at all?
This has been mentioned before. I think one of the C5 models has a six speeder. I think it will possibly be the MLT5 type model with the hyd clutch, still it would be nice to be able to do 70mph at 2000rpm.

ps If anyone has a 90BHp HDI gearbox haging around I'll take it of your hands and fit it to my Xantia sensation project. :D

Regards
Howie