How to remove Xantia anti-sink sphere?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

GB
My Cars:

How to remove Xantia anti-sink sphere?

Post by GB »

Finally I got around to replacing all spheres in my 1996 Xantia SX. All went smoothly until I attempted to unscrew the anti-sink sphere.

I put the sphere tool on and applied a bit of pressure. The sphere appeared to unscrew, so I took the tool off and started to unscrew it by hand. Anyway, I thought I was unscrewing it - the sphere actually turned about 360 degrees before I realised that the housing holding the sphere was also turning.

Is it likely that I damaged something?

How to take this sphere off?

Any help would be appreciated.

PS
Surprisingly, the service history shows that all spheres were replaced at some time in the past, except for the anti-sink sphere. Perhaps the previous owner (or mechanic) encountered the same problem and decided not to replace it.

Cheers,
GB
05 C5 VTR 2.0 HDI
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

You have to be careful with these as they don't connect like the other spheres, there is a small diameter pipe that connects into the centre similar to a brake caliper connection. If you unscrew the sphere normally you risk damaging the pipe. You may already be aware of this but I thought it was worth mentioning.

When I did mine I removed the pipe and just unscrewed it from the bracket, it was extremely tight though, probably the tightest of all but the bracket seem to take the abuse.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
GB
My Cars:

Post by GB »

Stempy wrote: there is a small diameter pipe that connects into the centre similar to a brake caliper connection. If you unscrew the sphere normally you risk damaging the pipe. You may already be aware of this but I thought it was worth mentioning.
Thanks mate, I didn't know about the pipe. I checked under the car this morning, no LHM leaks so hopefully everything is OK.

Do I need any special tools to remove this pipe or would a normal spanner do?

Cheers,
GB
05 C5 VTR 2.0 HDI
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

GB wrote:Do I need any special tools to remove this pipe or would a normal spanner do?
Ideally use a brake 'pipe spanner' (ring spanner with a slot to let it slide over the pipe) to avoid rounding the corners off the 'nut'.

As far as the pipe is concerned, check that you haven't twisted it and effectively sealed it off so that whilst it doesn't leak, you haven't also prevented fluid from flowing through it.
Berlingo Multispace 05 1.6 HDI
Picasso 02 HDI SX
Xantia 97 TD VSX
Xantia 96 Activa
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Any quality tool to grip on the 8mm hexagonal union nut.

Best tool is a hexagonal (NOT a 12edge) 8mm socket with a cut-thru slit for the socket to slide over the 3.5mm piping. Then using a molegrip or similar to turn the socket.
This socket is BTW a handy helper for those union nuts everywhere you just know will round off if you try just a bit harder :idea:

With pipe disconnected sphere can be attacked ( :!: )
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Isn't it 9mm?
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Hi Guys,

I've found the only way to undo any hydraulic union on my CX (which has lived in the salty, soggy UK early in it's life) is ... Cut the line off and use vice grips on the line fitting :(

Either that or you need to trash your tools like I have ... ie:

Take an 8mm single hex kingchrome socket ... weld it into a useless imperial ring spanner, cut a slot in the socket with a drop saw, lop the "ratchet" end of the socket offand grind it all flat...

You then end up with a really ugly spanner that can undo almost all un-rounded hydraulic fittings

seeya,
Shane L.
'96 Big BX 2.1TD exclusive slugomatic (aka XM)
'85 CX2500 GTi Turbo Series II (whoo hooo)
'96 Xantia VSX slugomatic (sold !!)
and of course, lots of old Citroens, slowly rusting away in pieces ;)
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

reblack68 wrote:Isn't it 9mm?
That's what I thought; I knoiw mine on my 94 VSX was.
I have a set of open ended ring spanners that end up a bit like what Shane was talking about only mine are hex and as a result don't tend to round off the nut which is possibly a more practical option if you don't have access to welders and such. I used a mirror and spotlight to originally get my spanner on it correctly in the first instance.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

Neil
Now Citrtoenless
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

That is the correct tool Neil, only problem there is they have 6 - 8 - 10
and I'm certain these are 9mm (As only the French could) :roll: :evil: :evil:

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Pipe union nut size all models :

3.5mm piping : 8mm
4.5mm piping : 9mm
6.35mm piping : 12mm

The antisink sphere pipe is 3.5mm.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
GB
My Cars:

Post by GB »

Well, I had another look at the anti-sink sphere today: the 3.5mm pipe is actually twisted and needs to be replaced.

What length of 3.5mm pipe do I need to buy (I only want to replace the pipe that goes into the anti-sink sphere). Do I need to buy any washers or any other parts that need replacing with this pipe?

Cheers,
GB
05 C5 VTR 2.0 HDI
GB
My Cars:

Post by GB »

Just had a look at GSF parts catalogue - they only sell 3.5mm pipe in 50m rolls.

Where else can I buy this pipe from in shorter lenghts (prefereably on the internet or around Reading area)?

Regards,
GB
05 C5 VTR 2.0 HDI
ghostrider
My Cars:

Centre sphere Pipe

Post by ghostrider »

Hi GB I am about to order stuff from GSF I have pipe and flaring tool but need some more of the Nuts that hold the pipe on. If you can tell me how long the pipe needs to be I can make you one for about a tenner plus postage
Pete
________
California Dispensary
Last edited by ghostrider on 12 Aug 2011, 01:58, edited 1 time in total.
GB
My Cars:

Re: Centre sphere Pipe

Post by GB »

ghostrider wrote:Hi GB I am about to order stuff from GSF I have pipe and flaring tool but need some more of the Nuts that hold the pipe on. If you can tell me how long the pipe needs to be I can make you one for about a tenner plus postage
Pete
Pete,

Thanks mate! :-) Paypal?

Just need to find out how long the pipe needs to be - I should get a chance to have a look under the car tomorrow afternoon, unless somebody on this forum knows the approximate required lenght.

Anyone? :-)

Cheers,
GB
05 C5 VTR 2.0 HDI