2.1td intercooler pipe

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davethewheel

2.1td intercooler pipe

Post by davethewheel »

my xantia seems to hace a rather loud turbo whine so i thought i'd check all the intercooler pipes and it seems that there is a problem with the pipe that runs under the sump up to the turbo, the bracket that attaches it to the engine block has snapped off and were the pipe connects to the turbo it appears to have split, no problem i thought i'll just order a new one ....eek £93.00 :shock:
on the exploded diagram it shows a Jubilee clip that appears to fasten around the top of this pipe were it goes into the turbo but on mine there isn't one and it looks like it's just a push fit and i can't see how the clip will hold the pipe in

the pipe in question is part no 1
the snapped bracket is part no 4
:)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I had this problem on my XM only it was my fault because I hadn't bolted the pipe to the bracket after I replaced the cylinder head. I dont expect the Xantia is exactly the same but mine also had a jubilee clip around the connection, it depends how far the bracket is from the turbo, I only know it was very difficult to get at.

I would get a pipe from a scrapyard if I were you, if you dont have one locally there are usually plenty of people breaking them on ebay, although being a 2.1 may be not. Is the peugeot 406 one the same?
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Why not just fix the pipe? Any pictures of how big the fold is??
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

i thought about fixing it as there is no way i'm going to pay £93.00 for one, it has split around the flange at the top it looks as though its cracked about half way round, i undid the mounting bolts but couldn't get the pipe to come out of where it enters the turbo, i didn't want to snap the end completely off, a friend at work has a 2.1td 406 so i will have a look tomorrow to see if it's the same, at least it will give me a bit more chance in finding another one :)
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Sounds like a perfect job for a bit of Silicone hose..if the two bits aren't the same size, then reducers are available in very useful sizes. Expect to pay about £20 - there are a couple of sellers on ebay for an idea of price.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

I think the problem is that you cant use a silicone hose as it wont seal as well.

IIRC the plastic hose fits INSIDE the metal flange to the turbo and then the jubilee clip squeezes the metal onto the plastic to give a much better flow characteristic.

Have you thought abut gettnig some apozy resin or fibre glass stuff like p38 from halfords and just using that to reshape the thing??
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i very much dought that there is ment to be any kind of clamp around that joint,i am sure it relys on the bracket to hold it in place,i would also think it has an O ring to halp it seal,dont bodge it with a load of KRAP!!!! as this usualy leads to constantly having to fix it,i think you just have to fix the damage to the duckt and either weld or replace the bracket
regards malcolm
Last edited by citronut on 12 Sep 2006, 21:40, edited 1 time in total.
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

i think malcom is right i can't see anyway that a clamp can go around there, the part of the turbo were the pipe goes into is cast alloy so clamping it would do nothing but there is clearly a clamp listed on there and no sign of any o ring, the bracket isn't a problem i'll just order a new one as they are only a few quid, idealy i'd like to fit a new one but i'm not paying citroen prices, there is someone breaking a peugeot 2.1td on ebay so if the pipes the same i'll try and get that :)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

well it dont seem to show any clamp at 73,may be if there is ment to be any sort of clamp there it could only be one which locks over the ledges on the turbo neck and duckting neck,or that bracket keeps it in place
regards malcolm
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

ONly other thing to really seal it with is some form of silicone then i would guess and leave it for a long overnight session to set properly as well :)

I still think that something has to clamp on there though as IIRC the turbo taht came off our 2.1 had slits in it so its possible it c;amps just that tiny bit enough so that the surfaces lock as its meant to be water tight as well.
tul55015

Post by tul55015 »

This happened to me on my '98 2.1TD . Bracket 4 broke, but the pipe was intact. Are you sure your pipe is broken?

I had no jubilee clip on the turbo outlet, the pipe had an o ring which just pushed up into the turbo. There was a jubille clip onto the other end of the pipe, though.

The new bracket was about £3.00 from a Citroen dealer. I had to order it, but it came the next day.

Hope this helps,

John.
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

tul55015 wrote:This happened to me on my '98 2.1TD . Bracket 4 broke, but the pipe was intact. Are you sure your pipe is broken?

I had no jubilee clip on the turbo outlet, the pipe had an o ring which just pushed up into the turbo. There was a jubille clip onto the other end of the pipe, though.

The new bracket was about £3.00 from a Citroen dealer. I had to order it, but it came the next day.

Hope this helps,

John.
hi john, welcome to the forum

can you remember if the pipe and the part that pushes into the turbo are all one part as mine appears to have split were it pushes into the turbo, i tried to remove the pipe to have a closer look but i couldn't get it to pull out and i didn't want to try to hard as it looked as though it was going to snap off, it seems to have split about halfway round :D
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

It is quite probable that the only mechanical fixing for the pipe to the turbo is that bracket, and that the sealing is done by the 'O' ring - it's common practice these days for ease of manufacture. Its also feasable that the bracket failed, and the resultant vibration has cracked the plastic pipe half way round.

As for silicone hoses; providing you can get the right size (they will stretch 1 or even 2mm to help), they grip very well - i've not had one come off a piece of plain steel tube even at 1 bar boost (and a bit..)
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

philhoward wrote:It is quite probable that the only mechanical fixing for the pipe to the turbo is that bracket, and that the sealing is done by the 'O' ring - it's common practice these days for ease of manufacture. Its also feasable that the bracket failed, and the resultant vibration has cracked the plastic pipe half way round.

As for silicone hoses; providing you can get the right size (they will stretch 1 or even 2mm to help), they grip very well - i've not had one come off a piece of plain steel tube even at 1 bar boost (and a bit..)
i'll have a measure up and see if i can get a bit of hose to fit even if it's just a stop gap as since i've disturbed the joint the car is totally gutless to drive Presumably because of the air leak :)
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Why not try the following. Hacksaw off a small section of the pipe after the falnged bit that i think is the bit thats broken.
Then slide a normal rubber hose over it and the turbo outlet and jubilee clip it onto the pipe and turbo as a stop gap measure?