Activa Turbo problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

handyman
My Cars:

Activa Turbo problem

Post by handyman »

On a recent journey through France, my Activa developed a problem which showed itself as a lack of power, almost as if the car did not have a Turbo fitted!
Any revs above 3K really made the engine run uncomfortably. There is no kick from the Turbo and the car was struggling to get uphills without changing down from top gear.
The engine starts really easily, ticks over and pulls cleanly upto 3K revs. I prefered not to try it above this engine speed and was able to get back home without any further problems! A quick checkover did not show any leaks in the pipework from the turbo to the induction manifold but I suspect this may be the case.
My other thoughts are a slipped timing belt, by one tooth, although the engine had a new belt, waterpump and tensioner last year. Or possibly a blocked catalytic converter as the car has done 150K miles.
Any constructive thoughts or ideas appreciated.

Herbert, aka Chris, need not comment with any silly suggestions on the shape of the car's body!

Handyman
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

It may well be that the engine ECU has gone into 'Limp home' mode.

Has the diagnostic 'K' light illuminated recently?

When you start the engine does this light go out immediately or a few seconds later? If it stays on for a few seconds then it indicates that a fault code is stored.
Berlingo Multispace 05 1.6 HDI
Picasso 02 HDI SX
Xantia 97 TD VSX
Xantia 96 Activa
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I dont know what year the activa came out, but if it has a mechanical fuel pump (I assume its diesel) the pressure sensing pipe from the intercooler to the pump has probably come off.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Peter teh Activa is the nippy 2.0litre Petrol Turbo unit. 8v OHC as well :)

Its possible the turbo has siezed solid and only way to tell is inspect the impellor housing by taking the inlet pipe off and seeing if you can spin it with your finger :)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

KP wrote:Peter teh Activa is the nippy 2.0litre Petrol Turbo unit. 8v OHC as well :)

Its possible the turbo has siezed solid and only way to tell is inspect the impellor housing by taking the inlet pipe off and seeing if you can spin it with your finger :)
Simpler :
Undo the air duct from the turbo while engine running. Should clearly feels like a blower supplying air varying with engine speed.

If the engine is hesitating over a certain rev range or under a load - then the problem is dead sure some kind of fuel restriction. Candidates are fuel filter and fuel pump.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

The turbo is a Garret unit. These usually stop boosting if the waste gate is stuck open. I had one stick open on an Audi 80 1.6 TurboD. Lost all turbo boost. Measured only 0.1 bar with a boost gauge.

I had a replacement turbo fitted and the boost came up to 0.8 bar. Life was restored.

You may be able to get a refurb kit for the Garret turbo then you can remove it and give it an overhaul.

If you're getting no boost then the waste gate is probably the fault. It may be just coked up and held open. You could try taking the turbo off and cleaning it up.

When I had my Audi 80 turbo changed, the garage said the problem with the old one was that the waste gate was coked up. Damn, I'm sure I could have cleaned it.

Cheers, Kev
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

have you checked all of the air pipes and duckting,i had someone sent to me by another mechanic,the car was a TD xantia the guy had bought it and was told the turbo is US and needs replacing,he said it didnt have any get up and go,he had had various people look at it who all said that the turbo was shot,i sudgested he went to someone i know that knows a bit more about turbos than i do,and as he started the car to drive off i stoped him as it sounded as if it didnt have an air filter (a bit throty),i lifted the bonnet to find the rubber duckting below the battery tray that goes on to the inttercooler was completly off,i fitted it back on and sent him up the road to see if it was any better,on his return he was over the moon and said it was a completly diferant car,he had been told a new turbo was going to cost about 800 squide
regards malcolm
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sorry :oops: have not owned a petrol car for 20years or more!
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Thanks for all the useful comments. I have checked all the ducting baring the intercooler and all is in good order. The car is not in 'limp mode' as I have had that with another Citroen. The engine management light has been slow to extinquish, but I put that down to a sensor, like the air valve, needing cleaning.
I had a French mechanic, if such an animal exists, have a look at it while I was away, who confirmed that the turbo was not working even though you could hear it whining on engine revs! 47 Euros to tell me nothing.
I had thoughts about the wastegate being stuck open so I may explore that avenue first.
Not sure about refurbishing the turbo myself as it all needs to be balanced properly internally, otherwise it can explode.
Will keep you all posted.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

handyman wrote:Not sure about refurbishing the turbo myself as it all needs to be balanced properly internally, otherwise it can explode.
Will keep you all posted.
It's a surprisingly easy task if you're careful. I had a long discussion with an engineer who services turbo balancing machines, who tells me there are only 2 balancing cycles applied to a turbo; one to the compressor wheel and one to the turbine and shaft. The assembly as a whole is only checked, not balanced any further.
If you disassemble the turbo making note of the relationship of the compressor wheel to the shaft and refit it in the same place, then there is no problem. All that is usually replaced is bearings and seals, anyway.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I believe it would be appropriate to cease all personal remarks directed to me as I believe this site does not stand for anything of the sort.

May I take a moment to remind you of the current forum rules which is accessible on the main site titled "Forum Rules & Acceptable Use Policy - Please Read"

and bring particular attention to a certain paragraph.

"You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed"

As previously said, I would appreciate if you stopped all direct rude remarks to myself, since this is now the 3rd time you have made a rude comment I feel that you should stop immediately.

Regards
Chris
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Village
My Cars:

Post by Village »

Did I miss something? :?:
French car free zone....
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

I get the impression somebody's toys fell out of the pram, but I'm not allowed to say who as he gets upset. Does not like it when the boot is on the other foot.

If you feel you need to track events look at all my recent postings about my ZX (for sale & wants) and Activa, he's missed the Xantia estate postings. Whoops what a give away!

Handyman
Last edited by handyman on 11 Sep 2006, 13:33, edited 1 time in total.
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Consultation with a higher authority points to a resolution to the problem, with my Activa, not other matters.

Apparently, there is a small device fitted on or near to the turbo or manifold, called an 'E' valve which may have jammed open. I understand from the mec' that it may act as a bypass, in addition to the wastegate controlling manifold pressure.

I will have a crawl about under the car this afternoon to see if I can find it and fix it. Will keep you posted.

Handyman
Spud
My Cars:

Post by Spud »

I know it's quite a while ago, but did you sort this problem? I have the same problem with my 2.0CT VSX estate, as well as the overheating problem.... :cry:

All the best

Spud 8)
1996 Xantia 2.0CT Estate
1997 Toyota Hilux Surf 3.0TD