Child seats

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

AX_Man

Child seats

Post by AX_Man »

I have a 7 month old baby and have a normal car seat for her that the seat belt links into runners on the top and also the diagnal of the seat belt goes around the back of the car seat through guides.
God bless Citroen that this seat fits the AX, Saxo, a Picasso and a Pug 306 and even a Vauxhall MPV.

However my dad's saftey first car, a Volvo estate, the car seat doesn't fit as the belts are too short. Which is annoying as when going out with them have to take my car as well.

Anyone have any experience of this problem or know if there is a way around it?
1996 Citroen AX Debut and 2001 Citroen Saxo.

I love Citroens!
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

All the rear seat belts or just the side ones? My 10 month old has a britax set up and it's fitted all the cars we've been in. Citroen, Reno, Mazda, Vauxhall and one of those Toyota people carriers.
The wifes got a C4 I've got a ZX TD SX!!!!
AX_Man

Post by AX_Man »

I tried all the seats at the back. The middle one/armrest converts to a booster seat for when she's older.

Anyway my baby is only 7 weeks not 7 months!

I love Citroens!
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

The days of rolling around the back seat or sitting on your dad's lap while you have a go with the steering wheel are long gone!!

It may be possible to get a longer belt made up- try Quickfit (with a Q not a K) http://www.quickfitsbs.co.uk/aboutus.asp The website appears to be being revamped but the phone numbers, etc, are there.

They are excellent in sorting belts out for classics which never had them and one-offs.

I have no connection with them at all but they have a really good reputation in the old-car world, and it's where I'm going to go to get inertias to replace the statics in my Triumph.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I had a similar problem on a 1985 SAAB 900 although, strangely, not on a 1983 900. I got around it by using the front seat, where the belts were longer. There were no airbags though.

In view of the fact that my SAABs had belts of varying lengths it might be worth a trawl round the scrapyards to see if Volvos varied too. I'm guessing it's a 9 series if it has the built in booster seat but a 7 series belt should be compatible. You only need to take one and remember to take the buckle even if it looks the same.

Failing that you could live with it until it's time to turn the seat around. The time isn't long in passing.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
AX_Man

Post by AX_Man »

reblack68 wrote: Failing that you could live with it until it's time to turn the seat around. The time isn't long in passing.
Unfortunetly its not one that turns around. Looks like have to live with until 9 months when she gets thge next size up. Also the Volvo has airbags at the front so that is a defo nono...

Knowing my dad he won't get a new seatbelt. He firmly believes in only going to the Volvo dealer he bought it from for everything, even, heaven forbid, a new battery!

I love Citroens!
AX_Man

Post by AX_Man »

As a reference for anyone, I was told in Mothercare about Britax's brilliant website.

http://www.britax.co.uk//FitFinder/GB/FitFinder.php

You choose the seats from their range and then you select your car and there is fitting instructions.

For example in the AX some car seats may only fit to the front because of the height of the buckle.

I love Citroens!
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

AX_Man wrote:I tried all the seats at the back. The middle one/armrest converts to a booster seat for when she's older.
Probably won't be legal to use the arm rest as a booster seat as it's unlikely to meet the ECE R44.03 standard. Mind you, by the time she's of an age to use a booster seat (about 6 years old) the rules will have changed again ... that's if we haven't all been taxed out of existence :-)
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

AX_Man wrote:As a reference for anyone, I was told in Mothercare about Britax's brilliant website.

RoSPA also have an excellent web site relating to child restraints at www.childcarseats.org.uk
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

SteveG wrote: by the time she's of an age to use a booster seat (about 6 years old)
My daughter was too tall for a car seat (and over the weight limit) at 4yrs old and is 1cm away from the legal height for travelling without a booster at six.
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

Homer wrote:My daughter was too tall for a car seat (and over the weight limit) at 4yrs old and is 1cm away from the legal height for travelling without a booster at six.
Big girl :D
AX_Man

Post by AX_Man »

SteveG wrote:
AX_Man wrote:As a reference for anyone, I was told in Mothercare about Britax's brilliant website.

RoSPA also have an excellent web site relating to child restraints at www.childcarseats.org.uk
They refer you to the Britax FitFinder page!

I love Citroens!
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

AX_Man wrote:They refer you to the Britax FitFinder page!
Really? I couldn't find a link between the two, although I didn't check every one.

My reason for pointing out the RoSPA site in the first place was that it is full of information relating to child car restraints - not just which seats fit which car.
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

SteveG wrote:
AX_Man wrote:They refer you to the Britax FitFinder page!
Really? I couldn't find a link between the two, although I didn't check every one.
Yep, okay I see it now.
AX_Man

Post by AX_Man »

A word of caution with the Britax fit-finder.

The next stage seat (up to 4 years) that the fit finder said would fit, is dangerous with buckle crunch.

I went to Halfords and they in the end only found 1 that would fit safely, the Britax First Class as it has 2 different routing systems. Luckily it was on special offer that day :)

I love Citroens!