Door wont stay shut

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Door wont stay shut

Post by DHallworth »

Hi Guys,

I've got an XM that i just collected at the weekend.

When i opened the passengers door, it now wont stay shut, it just bounces back open. :(

The little snib on the door moves fine, but doesn't lock when it gets to the top, i've tried soaking it all in WD40, but no joy, just wondering if anybody could help me. :)

Thanks guys.
David.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

We had similar trouble with our ZX last winter - I had to take the lock out of the door and WD-40 / work it on the bench to get it to work again. I was seriously questioning the wisdom of older cars at that point - after 2 hours at about -5°C and in the fog and dark getting it out :evil:
Richard W
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

I had this problem on the first 405 I had. In the end after my Dad fiddled extensively with it we concluded that the mechanism had worn away to a point where the catch wasn't catching properly, therefore allowing the door to fly open. Our solution a new lock mechanism.

Someone with more knowledge may have a better solution.

One thing to be aware of, when we got the part from pug we got the wrong one cause the person ordering it (pug staff member) looking at the catalogue was given two choices for the vehicle and picked hte wrong one, no blame just unfortunate as there was no way to tell them apart. Don't know if the XM will have the same conundrum, but something to be wary of.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Ah, this old bad of chestnuts :lol:

I've had this on my Zx and the Xantia, my BIL had it on his Zx and my mate had it on his Zx.

The best solution was to remove the lock mechanisms and give them a good clean and fill em' up with some fresh grease.

However what tends to do the job fairly well if your not technically minded like myself to do the door mechanisms is to spray some WD-40 all the way round the door seals. Put lots of grease into the catch (in the side of the door) and some onto the bit when the catch catches round and holds the door in place.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(