C5 Dip/Main Beam

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andrewhall
My Cars:

C5 Dip/Main Beam

Post by andrewhall »

2002 C5 HDi 2.0 SX Hatchback

Hi All
Just started having problems with my Dip/Main Beam.
Lights are automatic so come on OK when dark. Problem is with switching between Dip and Main Beam. This is on the same stalk as the indicators.
A quick nudge of the stalk (Towards you) does give a flash - Well 95% of the time. The stalk is moved more (Towards you) to switch between the Dip and Main beams. This is taking sometimes 4 or 5 attempts to switch. I have tried silicone spray on the base of the stalk to give it a clean if nothing else!
Has anyone else had this problem and remidied it easily?
Is this a problem with the dreaded COM2000 I have heard about ?
Any help would be appreciated as the car is due for its NCT (Irish MOT) soon and I'm sure they will fail the car with it as it is + as the nights are starting to draw in, I would like my light working properly for safety reasons.

Many Thanks

Andrew
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

What happens if you are a bit more patient and hold the stalk towards you (not using violence) for a little longer time - does it switch then :?:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
andrewhall
My Cars:

Post by andrewhall »

Hi AndersDK

I have tried holding it for a couple of seconds - Have heard this is something to do with Multiplexed wiring.
Again, even doing this sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't

Andrew
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

On my C5, when you pull the stalk to engage main beam the main beam doesn't come on straight away, there is a slight delay.

This is more of a problem when I see an oncoming vehicle and pull the stalk to switch back to dip beam. There is a delay again and the oncoming driver has to take full beam until its changed over.

Are you waiting for the delay to pass. I'd say a delay of about a quarter of a second.

Flip the stalk and then wait. See if anything happens. If not then there must be a problem.

cheers, Kev
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
birstall

Post by birstall »

Andrew

Sounds like the Com2000 to me.
I had a similar problem on my right turn indicator.
It stopped working when fully flipped. However, it continued to work when just lifted to the temporary position.
After a while, I found that by moving it slowly from the temp position over to the full position, it would start working again.
Now it seems to have recovered, except for first thing on a cold day, when it sometimes doesn't work if flipped too quickly.
I telephoned the local Citroen dealer (Dixon's). The lady in the service dept said there wasn't a fault with the Com2000 units and that she'd never had a problem with them. She stated that they are only guaranteed for 3 years, not 4 as I suggested. Suggested I bring the car in for them to have a look. No thank you, not at your prices, mate!

Regards

Peter
Current: C5 HDI Exclusive Saloon
Past : C5 HPI Exclusive Saloon
C5 HPI Exclusive Est
Xantia 1.9TD VSX
BX 1.7 TZD