Mk2 Xantia engine replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

howiedean
My Cars:

Mk2 Xantia engine replacement

Post by howiedean »

Hi,
I've found a replacement engine for a non runner I purchased off E-bay.
Does anyone know if I can simply fit a replacement engine complete with a new fuel pump without problems with the engine immobiliser?
The reason I ask is that the car came with the engine half stripped and I really want to replace the lot.

Regards
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Yes!

The immobiliser works by using a code which when inputted correctly bypasses an electronic 'lock' in the engine management ECU allowing all the fuel/ignition etc to work. If you've got the original ECU undisturbed complete with it's code it won't matter what engine you bolt onto it all.

What engine are you swapping over anyhow?

Andrew
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

andmcit wrote:Yes!

The immobiliser works by using a code which when inputted correctly bypasses an electronic 'lock' in the engine management ECU allowing all the fuel/ignition etc to work. If you've got the original ECU undisturbed complete with it's code it won't matter what engine you bolt onto it all.

What engine are you swapping over anyhow?

Andrew
The car is a MK2 Xantia 1.9td. (no keypad)
I bought it off E-bay, the description was engine run low on oil and the owner decided to get rid of it as a replacement engine was going to cost him £2000!!
The head has been removed and it shows signs of damage. The 2 inner valve (piston) areas are showing major signs of pitting. The gasket looks ok so I don't think the gasket went.
Also the engine will still crank so it never seized, could it have overheated due to low oil and not seized? The belt looks dodgy with a split but the valves are not bent. I wonder if it has possibly slipped some teeth and eventually packed up, it is a mistry.
Andy you mentioned the code, mine does not have a code as the immobilisor is in the key any suggestions?

cheers
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

I understand where you're going with a full replacement engine. The original does sound suspect on a few levels and you could go to the hassle of reassembly and find issues with the bearing shells/big ends. Something made someone decide the only course of action was removal of the head for a look see...

The immobilser keypad is used in the petrol models but Citroen did wire one into the ignition on later diesels On a diesel it'll likely be a shut out of the diesel fuel pump although I've never bothered looking into it but I recall mention of a diesel ECU!!

The whole point though is the loom and ignition circuit on the car you're sorting doesn't and any replacement diesel TD unit can be plummed in directly as it'll be a mechanical like for like swap.

Good Td units aren't that bad to find, an 80k mile FSH car went with 1-2months MOT & TAX on ebay for buy-it-now 120quid 20 minutes ago. No it wasn't me! HDi's aren't as easy to get replacements for without selling a spare kidney...

Andrew