ZX Headlights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

ZX Headlights

Post by RichardW »

Sometimes the headlights on the ZX don't come onto dip when swtiched on, usually coming on if the switch is worked between dip and main beam. Last night my wife said that they were going off while she was driving along, so I guess it's time to do something about it! It's got to be the swtich, but just wondering if this is a common failure and hence should I go a fiver at the local scrapper, or splash out £35 for a new one from GSF? I've not heard about it before, so am inclined to think it's a one off, and the scrapper will be OK. Anybody been there before?
Richard W
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Elderly ZX lighting switches tend to take up smoking when the indicators are applied - headlamp problems don't seem to be a common vice.

The light switch will operate a relay - which is good news for the light switch as it means it doesn't carry much current and so has a longer life. It may be that the relay or a connection is failing and breaking a circuit when the car goes over a bump.

I'd start by finding the relay ( listen for clicks as the light switch is operated) and have a look at it and its connections - and at all other connections in the circuit.

AS the lighting switch is prone to the smoking problem I would not use a second hand switch if I could get a new one for £35. Its not difficult to fit but if I remember correctly you have to take the wheel off to get it to slide out.
jeremy
Gaskin
My Cars:

Post by Gaskin »

Just a quick note. You can change a ZX indicator switch without removing the steering wheel, its just a bit fiddly (drop the wheel down to its lowest height setting). And don't bother with a second hand one you'll only end up replacing it again with a new one anyway - so I found out the hard way!

Cheers

Duncan
97 Xantia 1.9TD Estate 118K - sadly no more....
08 C3 1.4 HDI 38k
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Haven't had a chance to look at it yet - it keeps raining! The wiring diagram I've got doesn't show a relay, but I'll have a listen for one anyway. I'm 99% sure it's the switch, since flicking it to main beam brings the dip beams on too. No air bag on this one, so whipping the wheel off is no bother anyway.
Richard W