Bye bye xantia hdi

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

madmanbob
My Cars:

Bye bye xantia hdi

Post by madmanbob »

Just sold my 110bhp HDI, 2000 model. Fed up of the bumpy back end. Now have a 2 litre 140 bhp brand new Hyundai Tucson.
Do I miss anything? No. The tucson is shorter, has more room and more performance. I feel that the newer Citroens, C5 etc have a cheaper hydraulic system and the C4 has springs, so they are not for me.
2000 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive which lives in the Dordogne. Previous: XM Diesel, C3 HDI 92 bhp, CX DTR Turbo2, BX TZD Turbo, CX D, GSA, GSA estate, 2CV
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I think that the XM is still the ultimate Citroen, if you can afford to run one! I will keep mine going as long as possible but when it does eventually give up, I regret that after over 20 years of hydropnumatic Citroens I will have to find something else. There are only about 3 reasonably large manual diesel estate cars that give anything like the comfort, The Jaguar X type, the Rover 75 (no longer made), and the Mondeo and they are all full of electronics. :(
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I drove a brand new Jaguar X-Type Manual Diesel (albeit a 4 miles), and it was very comfortable to drive (including feeling the road).

I have also driven a Rover 75 Manual Diesel a few times (and my dad used to own one, he now has a Jag X) and the Rover was fairly comfy but even for me (same height as me' dad pretty much) found it very very awkward getting in and out of it.

Mondeos just seem to be quite hard like all the other Fords.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

My C5 is great !

The C5 suspension is just the same as a Xantia except, where the Xantia uses mechanical linkages and hydraulic height correctors, the C5 uses variable resistors as height detectors. The hydraulic valves on the C5 are contained in a Built-in Hydraulic Interface unit (BHI) in the engine compartment, away from potential damage from debris on the roads.

The electronics of the C5 work really well. They give a great ride and with Hydractive 3+ you get nice stiff cornering for a sporty ride.

The C5 is a natural progression from the XM and Xantia. Modern, well equiped, loads of room and comfortable.

I do miss my Xantia 1.9 TurboD. But, I'm realy pleased with my new C5.

cheers, Kev
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

...I drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry, Them good ol' boys were drinkin' whiskey and rye Singing "This'll be the day that I die, This'll be the day that I die." :wink:

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Andrew
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

andmcit wrote:...I drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry, Them good ol' boys were drinkin' whiskey and rye Singing "This'll be the day that I die, This'll be the day that I die." :wink:

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Andrew
This'll be the day that I buy, This is my way with a Hyundai....

Oh god, better find something to do :roll:
Andrew
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I am sure that the C5 is a very nice car to drive but its far to electronic for my liking. So far I have been able to maintain my XM myself including a new head gasket last year. Much of the electrics didn't work on this car when I bought it but I was able to fix them, I dont think the same applies to the C5. I'm a retired TV engineer, but dont understand a lot of the modern car electrics. And the seats are not as comfortable.

mezuk - Thanks for the X type / Rover 75 comparison. I havn't driven either, I am going mainly on reviews and the Which? report. I think the Rover has more interior space, but ease of entry and egress will probably become more important before I am much older! Have you driven a new type Mondeo, the one that the X type is based on?
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

If you fancy a car with plenty of space..take a look at a Mazda 6. They're impressive.
Cheers, Kev

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: Bye bye xantia hdi

Post by Mandrake »

madmanbob wrote:Just sold my 110bhp HDI, 2000 model. Fed up of the bumpy back end. Now have a 2 litre 140 bhp brand new Hyundai Tucson.
Do I miss anything? No. The tucson is shorter, has more room and more performance. I feel that the newer Citroens, C5 etc have a cheaper hydraulic system and the C4 has springs, so they are not for me.
So you sold it because the rear spheres needed replacing ?? :roll:

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Peter.N. wrote:
mezuk - Thanks for the X type / Rover 75 comparison. I havn't driven either, I am going mainly on reviews and the Which? report. I think the Rover has more interior space, but ease of entry and egress will probably become more important before I am much older! Have you driven a new type Mondeo, the one that the X type is based on?
I'm afraid I will have to disagree with you on this :D, the Rover 75 feels very clastaphobic (sp?) and very much in your face where as the Jaguar feels more open and spacious and just so much generally comfortable in terms of seating, entry and exit and feel.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

OK,thanks. Its practical experience that I need, there's no substitute for actually driving the car, and I havn't. Anyone like to lend me one? :wink:
The Mop

Re: Bye bye xantia hdi

Post by The Mop »

sold it because the rear spheres needed replacing
Why are you called Mad Man Bob :twisted:
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

The Xantia has the softest arse end of any car on the planet I've ever been in .... The arse end can be pushed right to the bumpstops with effortlessly with one hand.

I've got a suggestion... A simple service of the car will bring dramatically improved handling and comfort... Far, far, far better than any korean throwaway sh!tbox.

seeya,
Shane L.
'96 Big BX 2.1TD exclusive slugomatic (aka XM)
'85 CX2500 GTi Turbo Series II (whoo hooo)
'96 Xantia VSX slugomatic (sold !!)
and of course, lots of old Citroens, slowly rusting away in pieces ;)
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

My C5 received praise indeed !

I took a friend and his wife to Liverpool airport (70 mile trip) for them to catch a flight to Portugal for holiday.

When we got there my friend said he was really impressed how smooth the ride had been and he loved the leather seats.

His wife said she too also thought what a lovely car I had. She sat in the back and was amazed at the comfort and the amount of leg room.

C5s are pretty good. Take a test drive.

Vive Le Citroen.......

Kev
Cheers, Kev