ZX Torque settings

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jamesg
My Cars:

ZX Torque settings

Post by Jamesg »

I've bought a ZX 1.9 volcane and the head gaskets just blown!! I was quoted £180 + vat so I've decided to do it myself seeing it's christmas... in a freezing cold garage on my day off.... not a good idea. Can anybody give me the head bolt torque settings? I assume the O.S engine mounting has to be removed as well?? any other tips?
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Is this petrol or diesel, because I'm only familiar with diesel? Torque settings changed during the lifetime of the XUD. Also the type of headbolts changed. If yours are spiralled they should not be reused. Get new ones because they stretch. Also if the head gasket has blown, you're wasting your time to refit without having the head checked for flatness. The tightening sequence is involved so confirm whether we're talking petrol or diesel. And yes, the right hand mount needs to come off, also the timing belt. Since you don't know the cars history, for the sake of a tenner it would be as well to change the belt at the same time.
Jamesg
My Cars:

Post by Jamesg »

It's a petrol. Thanks for the tip about the head bolts, that's something I'd overlooked!!
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

Be careful when removing the head, as the engine has wet liners and if the head is taken off carelessly then the linear seals will be broken which means a complete rebuild of the bottom end of the engine to put it right. Buy yourselve a haynes manual as it will have the torque settings in it and the the head gasket swap procedures.
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

According to Haynes, torque wrench settings for cylinder head bolts are (XU engines 1.6, 1.8 and 1.9):
- stage 1: 60 Nm
- fully slacken all bolts, then tighten to:
- stage 2: 20 Nm
- stage 3: angle tighten through 300°
Anyway, buying a manual would be a good idea.
Alex