Modified Cars to be banned?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Modified Cars to be banned?

Post by CitroJim »

I've just read a letter in Retro Cars this month and therein is half a hint that the government is looking to pass legislation that will effectively ban modified cars and even threaten those of us who run old 'uns that do not strictly meet todays C and U regs, especially in the emissons department.

The words were very scant and left me wanting to know more.

Is there any truth in this or is this indeed legislation that will be quietly slipped in very quietly like all taxed cars must be insured, even if they are out of use and car seats for children up to 12. You should have seen my 11 and a half year old daughters reaction to that one...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

Hi Citrojim,

I don't know the answers to some of your questions but the link below should answer your question regarding the new legislation regarding child seats/restraints.

http://www.boots.com/microsites/microsi ... nktype=SIL
R Reg Phase 2 306 DTurbo (Blaze Yellow) (Sold)
X Reg Phase 3 306 1.4 LX (Sold)
03 Renault Scenic Dynamique +
03 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi
52 Nissan Almera 1.8 sport+
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

I have to say that I would welcome the banning of 'modified' cars. We are plagued by Chavs with big bore exhausts and the noise is incredible at 1am when they fall out out of the local clubs. They use our village and the by pass as a race track! The same happens with 'kids' on mopeds too.
I would hope though that they would include a mechanism by which you can get mods approved, say a kind of MOT?
The situation in Germany was/is a bit of pain in that you can only fit approved spares and that becomes a problem with older cars. So much for an open market.
Robin
Citroens are dedicated to those who take a big bite - and just keep on chewing!
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Modified Cars should be banned!

On public roads at least!

I'm too a sufferer of a couple of prats who live above me and the gf who own modified cars, who have their mates coming round the block of apartments revving and skidding etc, so bad that they would even rev first thing in the morning when they went to work. Fortuantly Im up at half 6 so im not in a deep sleep, but its gets boring.

Were now getting a mortgage and having our first home shortly, just waiting for the Solicitors and all.

Were moving out on the 16th, and it cant come quick enough.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

If they bothered to enforce existing laws they wouldn't need to ban modified cars. Many people modify their cars without informing their insurance company. The insurance companies don't care because they are effectively getting paid without having to provide cover. Apart from the insurance aspect a lot of these cars aren't roadworthy anyway, either because the new parts aren't up to the job (whether by design or the way they are fitted) or simply because they aren't maintained properly.

I was following a 106 with blacked out windows, stupid exhaust, lowered suspension and Mickey Mouse ear mirrors last night. There was another car in front doing 50 and this 106 was struggling to maintain that speed. I was a safe distance behind and I could hear his exhaust booming, especially when he was having to change down and boot it. Meanwhile I was wafting along behind him in silence and comfort, in a car that probably cost less than his Lexus style tail lights.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

I wonder tho.. it's not really the size of your dustbin rear box...

give them a 1960's spitfire and they would still be a disturbance?

john
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

This is the problem. It's not the car that needs banning, it's the driver.

Banning any form of modification on cars will be the death of a large industry in the UK, and would be an utter minefield of problems when it comes to enforcement. Is a larger bore exhaust a modification? What about the aftermarket front fog lamps? or the pop-out glass sunroof. How about the retro-fitted rear foglamp? or the non-standard stereo? or the seat covers? or the sticker in the rear window? or the cup holder? Hang on... that air freshener isn't factory standard is it?
This is not a signature.
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

We have just been told by the local police that they cannot do anything about the car with the very loud exhaust - it has to be dealt with by the local council as a noise nuisance!
The car is not technically illegal and due to it's age having no catalytic converter means they can put big bore exhausts on without risking an MOT failure.
I doubt that the council will do anything - costs too much money. Robin
Citroens are dedicated to those who take a big bite - and just keep on chewing!
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

A loud exhaust CAN be an MOT failure-

Culled from 'Reasons for rejection.....' in the exhaust section of the testers manual-
b. a silencer in such condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the vehicle is clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar vehicle with a silencer in average condition.
Although I doubt wether a tester would actually bother to fail a car on just this. My Triumph has a system that is virtually straight through and also big bore but hasn't been failed on a noisy exhaust, but that's probably because a straight six sounds so good!!!
sub42
My Cars:

Post by sub42 »

And so starts the debate on if, or not young 'chav' can bolt his own lowering springs on in the correct fashion, or whether, as usual, he just chops off two coils with an angle grinder.......=death trap....or as some might argue its all up to him cos it's his car. Yeah, right. I don't think so.

Ban noddyfied cars unless they are inspected within the law. End of.
Previous convictions for ferret and giraffe rustling.

Synergie 1.9td SX loaded spec.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Once again - Where is the evidence that accidents are caused? I don't believe it exists - and think it is recognised in insurance circles that a person who modifies his car is interested in it and is going to try to avoid crashing it.

When you think about it poor performance in some areas may actually lead to a better driver. Rubbish or similar you say - but look at it this way:

Modern car brakes should be able to achieve 1.0G. If I learn to drive and habitually drive a car wthat can achieve only 0.8G I'm going to drive within its limitations - and allow extra time for braking - which I would have thought most of you would have thought was commendable.

I'd say the real problem drivers are those who still use mobile phones while driving and those who are so fat that they can't sit in a proper position and look over their chin to look straight ahead. Look around - there are far more of them than there are modified cars - and look at they way they drive - they are unable to turn neatly at road junctions etc - and generally seem to find normal control difficult. - Safe?
jeremy
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

And so starts the debate on if, or not young 'chav' can bolt his own lowering springs on in the correct fashion, or whether, as usual, he just chops off two coils with an angle grinder.......=death trap
He could just as easily make a hash of bolting on new standard springs as lowering ones....it's in the execution, not the modified component, so Sub, does that mean people should be banned from fitting standard bits as well??
matt
My Cars:

Post by matt »

Yes lets ban modified cars and have a nice cuddly wuddly safe world-i think not!

Remember not everyone with a modified car hangs around clubs late at night wearing baseball caps some of us are just 'normal' like any old citroen driver.

Matt.
92 205 1.9 GTI(MODIFIED,SORRY )
1996 VOLVO 850 2.5 5CYL 10V
1999 EXPERT VAN TD - WHITE !
No more car's thanks!
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

bxbodger wrote:does that mean people should be banned from fitting standard bits as well??
I expect that's the next phase of the plan. I don't think this has anything to do with safety, it's to make money for the dealers and companies like Halfords.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

matt wrote:Yes lets ban modified cars and have a nice cuddly wuddly safe world-i think not!

Remember not everyone with a modified car hangs around clubs late at night wearing baseball caps some of us are just 'normal' like any old citroen driver.

Matt.
I'll have you know I'm only 21, but old at heart hehe :lol:
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(