Xantia Exclusive Passenger Door Mirror

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

HST

Xantia Exclusive Passenger Door Mirror

Post by HST »

Thanks to a local vandal I had to replace the complete LH mirror on my 98 Xantia Exclusive.

I bought what I thought was the approriate heated/electric mirror from GSF. After painting the cover and stripping down the door I discovered the mirror was different from that fitted. Mine has an extra connector which must be for the dipping feature when engaging reverse, which the new one didn't have. Also, I had to strip the temperature sensor out of the wiring for the old one and fit it to the new mirror.

The new mirror adjustment works OK & I assume the heating works (don't care much to be honest).

Has anyone come across this before & figured out if it's possible to wire in the auto dip from the now vacant connector?

I was in a hurry so didn't get out my multimeter to start checking it out.

I did think of stripping out the working internals from my old mirror to use, but made another annoying discovery. The new mirror glass appears to be glued in place, rather than held by a clip. This prevents dismantling and replacement, except by naff stick on efforts. When I bought the car it had one fitted: it was potentially lethal as it had no lens effect, leaving huge blindspots.
HST

Post by HST »

I've just checked pr-net which has just added to the confusion. The picture shows a mirror with wiring like the replacement, not the original. i.e. with a plug missing and the temperature sensor wiring separate rather than incorporated in the same shrink wrap as the other wires.

This was after entering my car's VIN. Weird.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Can you see a way to dismantle the new mirror - I've not yet pulled my Exclusive's mirrors apart fortunately, but have transfered all the electrical workings from one Xantia mirror into a alternative cable adjusted one so anything's possible.

I realise it goes against every instinct, pulling apart a new 100% replacement but the dipping feature would be worth retaining and after all, you're not going to keep the old mirror for posterity are you!! :wink:

Andrew
HST

Post by HST »

andmcit wrote:Can you see a way to dismantle the new mirror -
To dismantle it you need to remove the glass. As it doesn't have the usual clip & just seems to be glued in place I'm reluctant to start pulling it apart. I don't know if it's just the clip is missing and it's just being held by the self adhesive that the old one had as well as the clip. Maybe another recent purchaser can answer?

BTW the price on pr-net was over £200!
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

When I purchased my Xantia SX the drivers side wing mirror glass was cracked so bought a replacement for the local motor shop. Had to pick the old one off with a screwdriver as it was glued in place. The heating element still worked underneath, thankfully!
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(