Xantia Riding high

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wrinklet1
My Cars:

Xantia Riding high

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi, we have just got a new (1999) Xantia TD Sx, to replace the one we already have.
Problem, its got stiff suspension and is riding high.
I haven't had time to go underneath to clean and grease the linkages yet (this weekend). It feels like its in mid position (between normal driving and Highest setting).
Who's had this problem before and what is the fix please?

Paul :?
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

As you say, it could be sticking height correctors. On the other hand, it could be that someone has tried to adjust the normal height and b******d up. Among Xantias, you see some peculiar 'normal' heights driving around.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Your first port of call would be lubrication of the height corrector linkages, but also check to see that the plastic links are not broken.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

JohnD - I assumed that it hadn't been interfered with, but I suppose you cant assume anything! :(
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Right,
I changed the sphere's and did the citrobics bit.
WD40'd the height correctors and then sprayed on waxoyl (aerosol type), then moved the lever back and forth for about ten mintues (engine off)
Result, a lot better ride.
The ride height seems lower too.

Paul :lol:
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,
Mike Pratt

Post by Mike Pratt »

I have exactly the same issue with my Xantia 2.0hdi, but have not identified the cause for it to ride high. So my questions are; Did greasing the height correctors fix the problem, or did you have to re adjust the ride height (how do you do that ?). FYI I have changed all four spheres, but no difference.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Spheres will make no difference to the ride height as this is controlled by the height correctors.

Over the years they and their linkages sieze - and need to be freed off. Often they are hard to get at and the trick is to get ALL of it free. This includes the rod going into the height corrector itself.
jeremy
Mike Pratt

Post by Mike Pratt »

OK thanks Jeremy, didn't think the spheres would make any diference but as they were flat..........I've looked at the height correctors (and gave them a breif spray with WD40. The front HC looked OK, but the rear one was well corroded and it's possible that it may need more than just WD40 to free it off. Is it possible that one (not both) HC's could cause my Xantia to ride high ?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

A height corrector controls the height on its axle - it operates off the anti-roll bar - which links the otherwise independant suspension across an axle. As non-hydractive cars have a single feed to the struts on an axle you can see that without the anti-roll bar the car could settle at any angle - so these bars are vital.

For lubrication to do its job t must be thorough and properly applied. WD 40 is not suitable for this linkage - which is constantly exposed to the elements and does not have high quality bearings with residual lubricant that could be softened. (They would suffer in the same way or worse unless fitted with a power fed lubrication system)

To get the linkage working correctly you will have to examine each joint, free it and lubricate it. It will need greasing and oiling as appropriate and I use a combination of chainsaw oil (which I think hangs around rather better than engine oil, grease which I apply with a brush, and spray grease for when I get bored and fancy seeing if I can hit some otherwise innaccessible bit of linkage.

Filthy nasty job which has toi be done while laying on my back whith the car very carefully supported as while tinkering it could drop. You'll do it and there will be no difference and you'll then have to go back underneath to find the bit you missed!
jeremy