xantia clutch pedal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xl celt

xantia clutch pedal

Post by xl celt »

can anyone tell me if there is an easier solution to replacing a xantia clutch pedal plastic conector for the cable than taking the complete dash out.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Loads of posts on this subject if you search, the dash does not need to come out so don't waste time and effort going down that road.

Dave
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i have never done it that way but i understand someone on here has said it is easyer to take out the instrument panel not the hole dash,there is also lots of talk on here of people cutting the bolt head off and or bending bits of metal work,these methods are totaly over the top,as i have done quite a few of these for my customers by removing the clutch pedel,even when the bolt appears to be imposible to remove it can be done,its all to do with percy whatsit
regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote: percy whatsit
regards malcolm
Thats the bloke! Percy Verence. He wrote his autobiography. "I got there in the end" :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
slim123

Post by slim123 »

The secret of success in this job is to get the brake pedal as far up as possible, then after removing the nut, you will have to get one flat of the bolt in line with the brake pedal, you will have only just enough room to prise the bolt back far enough to tip the clutch pedal, then the bolt will drop out.

When replacing, put it back the other way round, this is the way it should have been fitted as new!!

The only thing that you need to remove for access is the small bit of carpet trim from the top of the pedals, HONEST!!

The job is one of those pain in the bum jobs that will take a couple of hours or more for the first time, but after a few, it can be done in less than an hour.

I have had contact from garages that have called me in after 6 hours and given up, then found that they had removed the seat and loads of trim, in the hope of getting more access.

GOOD LUCK!!!
Slim.
Oystercatcher
My Cars:

Post by Oystercatcher »

Nah, get the pedal *down* as far as possible :)

If you lift the pedal up and feel round the back you will find a round plastic canister with a spring-loaded plunger. (It's the bit that actually presses on the brake doseur valve. It was added by Citroen to make the brakes feel as spongy as an ordinary car :lol: ).

With a bit of judicious wiggling this canister pops out and the brake pedal drops to the carpet, leaving just enough room to slide the clutch pivot bolt past the top of the brake pedal. When I did mine I actually put the bolt back the same way, it was so easy :) .....and this way you don't need to resort to string/glamourous assistant to hold the brake pedal up and it's not in your way.....

Alan

p.s. Whilst the canister's out, dissassemble it and replace the spring with an equal length of 15mm copper pipe. Your brakes will feel *so* much better..... 8)
'98 Xantia TD SX 123K - Gone! - Now a Citroen-free zone :(
Wanted another Hydro Cit, didn't want a C5, can't afford a C6..... Yet :)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

im with Alan on this one i always drop the brake pedel to the floor,this job is as hard as your brain makes it
regards malcolm
slim123

Post by slim123 »

Must be horses for courses.

The first one that I did I put the pedal up, it worked faily easy so thats the way I have done the job ever since.

But next time I will try the down way!! see if it makes it any easier.

Usaul time 1/2 to 3/4 hr, I will time myself next time with the pedal going down.

Regards
Slim
xl celt

Post by xl celt »

thanks to everyone for the advice,i started it this afternoon,first i tried taking the plastic thing off the brake pedal and pushing it to the floor,but the bolt would still not clear.then i took the plug block off the pedal and pushed up as far as it would go,and with a bit of twisting the bolt cleared[:)].total time 1.15,i will buy a new bit in the morning from gsf and fit it in the afternoon if all goes well.