heater blower fix.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tomsheppard
My Cars:

heater blower fix.

Post by tomsheppard »

The heater blower on my BX was intermittent but only sometimes:-)
Stripping the heater box revealed two copper straps between the motor assembly plug and the motor itself, one of which was corroded. Thorough cleaning and a little crimping restored proper operation. I also cleaned the motor's commutator with a little wet and dry and carefully brushed out the detritus between the segments with a small stiff brush moistened with a switch cleaner. A drop of oil on the rear bearing helped as well.
Current draw on the motor halved after cleaning the motor and it only took an hour to do the lot. When replacing the plug in the motor, i gave the mating faces a good squidge of silicone grease to keep the damp out. I'd advise members to do the same.
huwhop

Post by huwhop »

Is "stripping the heater box" something done from the inside/cabin or the outside/under the bonnet? haven't had that problem..yet! but would be good to be prpared
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

It is simple. Remove the wiper arm and the air intake on the scuttle. Pull the sealing rubber off the bulkhead; there is a plastic cover over the heater motor. Remove it. The motor now fixes with 3 m6 fittings, 1 screw 2 nuts. There may be a plate affixed to the bulkhead, requiring you to remove a self tapper. Pull all the electrical connections and the grille from the front of the motor. The unit slides out from the passenger side with just under a coat of paint's clearance .