Another Xantia question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fangy

Another Xantia question

Post by fangy »

Hello, I've got a 1995 Xantia 1.9TD VSX with alloy wheels. Ever since I got it I've noticed once you get the car up to 60mph or above there's a vidration/judder that seems to come from the front and feels like it's juddering front to back through the car. I've had new tyres fitted, got the wheels balanced and had the tracking done, I've also done both front ball joints ( didn't think they would fix it, but it needed them done anyway) but still it judders. I was looking through the forum and saw the post "wheel balancing -xantia exclusive" by neilpye, could this be the trouble I'm having or does anyone know of anything else that could be causing this?
Thanks,
Fangy.
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Buckled wheels can cause strange behaviour. My Xantias been diagnosed with this problem by the garage that the previous owner used, though I haven't checked myself yet.

Steve.
not applicable
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

Hi.. If you haven't had your rear wheels balanced, then this can cause juddering and vibration through the car.
Swapping both the rear wheels to the front is a cheap and easy first step to help pinpoint a problem with balance. If you have already had the rear wheels balanced, and all the wheels are true, then perhaps the driveshafts could be checked for wear. Best Wishes, Martin
I won't do that again
deian

Post by deian »

or an egg shaped (lumpy) tyre?
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Certainly swapping the front and rear pairs of tyres will help you to determine the state of balance of the wheels before you go worrying about other parts!

Then you can check the rear trailing arm bushes, front lower wishbone bushes and all wheel bearings!

Andrew