Engine check light coming on 1.9 TD 1998 car

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mgoodlad

Engine check light coming on 1.9 TD 1998 car

Post by mgoodlad »

Car is a 806 from 1998 SLDT 1.9 turbo diesel, with 97,000 miles. Occasionally the orange check engine light warning light has been coming on - usually when the car is warmed up and when slowing down - foot on the brake and the revs have fallen back. The second you then put your foot on the accelerator and increase the revs then the light goes out. It is not every time, just occasionally, but getting a bit more frequent these days - once a day, rather than once a week...

Only outstanding thing which may affect it is oil in my coolant (see separate post) - I don't know what things trigger this light to go on.

Should I be worried?

Any help much appreciated.
Michael

1998/R 806 1.9 SLDT 97,000 miles
1996/N 106 1.5d 123,000 miles
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

My Xant does it, worn potentiometer on top of pump is what I think is going on here.

Dave
Decca
My Cars:

Post by Decca »

Sounds like a sensor is getting groggy, ( or could be tied in with your oil problem).
from my understanding of engine computors; when a reading from a sensor is out of range, the EC often substitutes a reading to keep things going, and the EC light on the dash comes on to advise that something's not 100%

I wouldn't be too worried about it, but it is something that will eventually need attention. The EC dash light is usually yellow (for 'advisory') as opposed to red warning lights.

It could affect the amount of exhaust pollutants which I believe are checked on your annual registration checks????

Decca
405SRi, 306XT, 406HDi
Past: 403, 504GL, R12GL, 406ST