Changing C5 Spheres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andrewhall
My Cars:

Changing C5 Spheres

Post by andrewhall »

Dear All

I am looking at changing my C5's Spheres soon (2.0HDi 110).
As I intend to do it myself, just wondered if there was anyone on the forum who has do this before and whether they had any problems.
I understand that depressurising the system is different to my previous Xantia. I know the dealers do it by computer. Does anyone know how to depressurise the system the DIY method?
I have found a supplier of C5 Spheres for £36 + Vat each ( www.aepdirect.com based in Scotland). These are IFHS spheres. They do the straight replacement Spheres or the Comfort Spheres.
Is there much difference between the Comfort and Normal Spheres?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Andrew
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Comfort version of spheres has been around ever since spheres were sold as common parts.
To my best knowledge they are the same spec as the originals - except for the center bore damper hole.
This hole is drilled up to a bit larger diameter thus allowing for a higher flow speed of LHM in/out of the sphere.
The result is that the "slow" suspension movements (boat-like) gets softer damping and the car feels a bit more floaty.

Many Citroen owners (including me) prefers this type of suspension as it gets very close to that old style genuine Citroen flying carpet feeling.
About the very opposite of a lowered Golf or Beemer.

Street performers hate this type of suspension - as the car feels sloppy and swampy when cornering and roundabouting with a heavy acc pedal - like most youngsters prefer to do it.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

arnt C5 spheres completly diferant to all the others also i didnt think they used convesional green LHM and i belive the tank is under presure so your not ment to just open the top
regards malcolm
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

try this post http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... +regulator the location of the depressurising nipples is different depending if you have a sport button (HA3+) or not.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

First: does your C5 have HA3+ (the sport button)?
I have never heard of comfort spheres for the C5, except that on non HA3+ models (HDI 110), you can change the front spheres for the 1.8l engine model. Done that for 2 years, and it rides ok. Same pressure, diferent damping hole/rings. As the C5 spheres have a crossed bit inside the main damper hole, they can't be drilled oversize.

To change the spheres:

1- Engine idle, lower the car to minimum. Shut engine down and wait 5 minutes, just in case...

2- Remove plastic covers on the engine compartment and expose the spheres and LDS reservoir.

3- Take a peek behind the cam belt. You will find the pipes coming to a T-connector with a nipple. The screw is 11mm. Put some rags around and unscrew it one turn, and let it satay so until no more LDS escapes.

4- Remove front spheres, again with some rags nearby to catch any LDS that may stll leak.

5- Put the new seal on the fitting and screw the spheres in, hand tight. Tighten the bleed nipple.

6- Open the LDS reservoir (it says power steering, stay clear, Citroën only, blah, blah. Yeah, right...!) You will see a kind of filter with a small opening near the top. Fill it up to it with LDS, around one liter should suffice.

Start the engine, height to normal, and check for leaks. Do some Citaerobics and you're done!
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955
andrewhall
My Cars:

Post by andrewhall »

Hi Francisco

Thanks for the detailed description of changing the front spheres.
I do not have the sport button so I am looking at H3 Only.
If depressurised at the union that you describe, will this suffice also to change the rear spheres?

Thanks

Andrew
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

there is a seperate union for the rear circuit,it looks identical to the front one but it is located at the rear axle area just right of the middle.
andrewhall
My Cars:

Post by andrewhall »

Hi Wheeler
Thanks for the Info.
As we all know safety is paramount when working on Citroen suspension.
With information from you and Francisco, I'll be in a good position to do the job myself.

Thanks
Andrew