td xantia smoke on startup

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pete@co.uk
My Cars:

td xantia smoke on startup

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi guys

When i start my m reg 95 19 td xantia from cold in the morning there,s always a cloud of smoke accompaned by lumpy running which clears then everything ok i always wait for the preheat light to go out before i start which always takes about 2 turns of the key to start whats going on is this normal or do i have couse for concern.

your help apprecated.

pete.................................
Drives
51 Reg Citroen C5 SX 2.0 16v
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

How many glowplugs are working?

How much air is getting in the fuel? - have you got a Bosch pump?
jeremy
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi Jeremy

Thanks for your speedy reply i dont know how to tell if the glowplugs are working also the pump is bosch there was a leak in the fuel line when i first got the car but thats been repaired now.

pete................................
Last edited by pete@co.uk on 19 Aug 2006, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.
Drives
slim123

Post by slim123 »

That will be the glow plugs, the only way to test for certain is to remove the wire from across the top and connect an ohm meter from the thread to earth, test each one in turn, if you dont get a reading then the glow plug is shot!!

Or, if you remove the glow plugs you can connect a piece of wire to the threaded end and connect it to the positive of the battery and touch the body of the glow plug onto the negative, look at the plug, it should start to glow red hot within a few seconds, BE CAREFULL!! it realy will be red hot if it is working.

Having said the last bit, if you have gone to the trouble of getting the little buggers out, then you just as well replace them.

Good luck, especialy with the one behind the fuel pump!!!

Regards
Slim
2512Steve
My Cars:

Post by 2512Steve »

Hi Pete,

slim123 has probably nailed it, but when I was experiencing the same problem and getting poor readings on the plugs, I changed the plugs, checked the old ones after I had completed the job, only to find that three plugs were still working OK. :?

To make matters worse, the problem started to re-occur within about 6 weeks. :? :?

The answer to the problem was to change the power feed lead; it appears that they sometimes break down or the crimped tags flex and crack/break the individual strands of the cable causing high impedence and lack of power to the plugs simulating faulty glow plugs. :roll:

Checking for continuity on this lead is more tricky than checking the plugs; but if in doubt, change it - it's only about £6 or so. :wink:

Regards,
Steve
(Current) '96 Xantia 1.9TD Est, 148,000 miles
(Past) '89 Peugeot 205 1.9D Hatch
'90 BX1.9D Est x2
'89 BX1.9D Hatch
B4 going diesel:
Vx Ventora 3.3, Victor 3300 Est, Triumph 2000 Est, Jaguar Mk V11M, Ford’s; Cortina Mk 1 1500 x4, Anglia 997
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the first thing you will notice when one or more glow plug is dead,is engine lumpy on start up and hard startting if more than one is dead,in turn this will give smoke when engine dose start
regards malcolm
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

As Malcolm says when the plugs go you get a lumpy and smokey start. As the plugs were probably made at the same time and are made within close tolerances they will fail after about the same number of operations - so 1 down, bit lumpy and smokey but barely noticeable, 2 down - rather smokey and not starting well, 3 down - worse - difficult to start at all, 4 down - get help.

So the starting gets rapidly worse in quite a short time.
jeremy
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

And don't fit anything except Beru plugs. Unless you are a masochist and want to change no 4 again after a few months..... :)
Richard W
citroenbx

Post by citroenbx »

oh No 4................ :twisted:
Life feels good just as you complete No4 Glow Plug on a ZX-TD
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

definatly only use beru plugs, i once fitted a set from halfords to a zx and after approx 2 weeks the ends had burnt off, not impressed as they are a pig to change, i got my money back and fitted beru ones and they are still going strong that was 3 years ago now... :)
slim123

Post by slim123 »

Just shoving in my penny's worth.

Never had a problem with NGK.

Regards
Slim
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Thanks guys :)

i,ll get the test meter out tomorrow and check the glow plugs judging from what your all saying i,ll probibly have about two out ive had a look where they are placed the most difficult on mine seems to be no 1 the one behind the diesel pump :shock: that looks a right pain i hope when i test them that one,s ok but sods law says it wont :roll: at the moment its quite hard to start somtime,s but she always fire,s looking at my haynes manual it says there,s a unit there behind the battery that controls the starting system could that also be faulty or am i just jumping the gun.

pete.............................
Drives
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Glow plug controllr is unlikely to be at fault - while you have the plug leads off look at the reading from the wire from the relay. Sorry - you'llhave to change them - maybe this will help?

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/sea ... &x=13&y=15
jeremy
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it is best to change them as a set rather than just the dead ones
regards malcolm
pie eater
My Cars:

Post by pie eater »

Pete,

Can't agree more with our friends on here regarding cheap plugs. I had exacftly the same symptoms as you, and found there were 2 plugs down on my ZX 1.9D a couple of years ago. Looked at the things and decided to change them myself - and yes, number 4 is a real fiddly git.
Went to my local car accessory shop, who sold me 4 new glow plugs which were cheap (almost exactly half price compared to NGK) and were a brand that I'd never heard of.
Sure enough, after only a couple of months two had gone again.
So I bought four new plugs from a Rover dealer, Unipart branded. I know the same engine was fitted in Rover 200 series diesels, so knew they would fit. They lasted YEARS - until I sold the car, in fact.
Now I'm not stingy exactly, just careful with money. But a lesson was learnt there, that's for sure.

But I'm still careful with me money!
C5 2.2HDI Exclusive
Xantia 2.0HDI SX
Eunos Roadster (I'm sure theres enough room under the bonnet for that HDI)