Refitting gaiter on Xantia rear suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Neil Taylor
My Cars:

Refitting gaiter on Xantia rear suspension

Post by Neil Taylor »

After replacing rear trailing arms and fitting new bearings I am left unable to get the gaiters ('cylinder boot') to go over the end of the hydraulic suspension cylinder at the cup (fulcrum) end.

I have now damaged one which is split annually right at the end, but the other one I have managed to get on part way and secure with a tree tie.

I would be interested to hear how anyone else managed to haul these gaiters over the cup end if they have as this has now exhausted my ingenuity.

My last thought was to undo the gaiter at the sphere end where the jubilee clip is and replace the rod from that end pushing it through the closure at the end of the gaiter instead of attempting it the other way round, but looking at it I don't feel confident I might not just do more damage, so again, if anyone knows this is possible or impossible, please share.
Neil Taylor - 94 Xantia 1.9TD
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

The same as getting a recalcitrant coolant hose on- use washing up liquid as a lubricant, and it'll slide straight over.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

It is imperative that the rear of car is jacked up and rear arm supported not allowed to hang down applying pressure on the cylinder rod.
Unscrew the boot clamp and pull back the boot from the cylinder.

http://www.citroen-pr.net/catalogues/il ... 347100.gif

item 4 is the cylinder rod fulcrum end securing clip.
This must be removed to withdraw the cylinder rod from the arm - exposing the free end for fitting the boot correctly.

item 3 - 5272.04 - CYLINDER BOOT (approx £10)
item 4 - 5272.09 - CYLINDER PIN (approx £1)
item 6 - 26.140.919 - BOOT CLAMP (approx £5)

Lube the fulcrum with grease (any kind). Once the boot is secured lube it externally with grease to make it slide easy into the arm bore.
Ensure the drilling in the fulcrum lines up with the securing clip fitting hole in the arm. Use a small gauge steel tread to align.
Inject a few mL of LHM into the boot then fit the large end of boot over the cylinder and tighten the clamp.

Now lift up the rear arm applying pressure on the cylinder rod - such the fulcrum end and boot end rubber is compressed. With some fiddling it should now be possible to fit the securing clip again. Grease it well before fitting.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

as Anders said the easyest way is to remove the boot from the susp unit end,and take the boot ane rod of the car,the only prob with this is the clamp thread is usualy seized and quite often brakes,then you will need a new clamp of the original type,with the rod and boot off the car you need to insert the rod with the cup end through the lager openning in the boot and push it through into place,easy peasy
regards malcolm
Neil Taylor
My Cars:

Post by Neil Taylor »

Thanks for the advice, as a result of which I think I'll give it a try if its a simple matter to withdraw the gaiter from the cylinder. I was a little worried about the pipes going into it, and am still unsure what they're for, or if thy just go into the gaiter only?
Neil Taylor - 94 Xantia 1.9TD
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the two pipes do just plug into the gaitor by about an inch,one is a vent the other is a susp unit seepage return,you will find one point in the gaitor is slightly larger that the other as the pipes are a diferant diamiter from each other,and they only go back into the gaitor up to the swadge in the pipes
regards malcolm