Air filter pipe

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tonyb1
My Cars:

Air filter pipe

Post by tonyb1 »

Hi guys, I just had my brakes done and a service following my last post, they were well worn. I'm a bit confused on something though. I noticed before the service that the very big hose that appears to go into the air filter (black box on the bottom right) from underneath had come away. fairly worn out. It was still like that after the service. I asked the garage why they hadn't fixed it, and they said something like "it's just the hot air intake, nothing to worry about, just leave it". I need a second opinion on this please, cos if it's nothing to worry about then why is it connected in the first place? I hope I'm not being to vague but I'm not technically minded. Thanks. Tony
Xantia 1.9 TD LX 1994 - 152,000 miles and running, strange vibrations
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

There is no hot air intake on diesel engines.

what you are looking at is a dislodged main intake air duct - effectively shunting out the air filter. This would also cause more intake air wheezing noise during drive - even a distinct whirring/whining noise from turbo - which you may have noticed ?

http://www.citroen-pr.net/catalogues/il ... 700750.gif
The lower ducting (8 & 4) shown in schematic is the clean air from filter to the turbo unit.
The upper ducting (5 & 6) is the ambient air intake to the filter.

Give me a shout if the schematic does not fit your engine layout.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image