back of xantia doesn't rise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fangy

back of xantia doesn't rise

Post by fangy »

Hello, I've got a 1995 Xantia 1.9 TD, earlier today I put the car on the highest suspension setting to top up the LHM fluid, when I put it back to the middle setting the front of the car dropped to the normal height but the back didn't, It'll go to the lowest setting front and back and the highest but the back of the car won't go to the normal driving position, does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?
Thanks,
Fangy.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hieght corector plastic link has either broken or poped of,if it has best to buy a new one fron citroen then lubricate all of the linkage as its usualy siezed linkage is the cause of this
regards malcolm
slim123

Post by slim123 »

Hi Fangy.

You are gonna need a replacement rear height corrector, if you replace the plastic link you will certainly run the risk of snapping off the metal link to the anti roll bar.

Lubrication can sometimes (rarely) work, but all the WD40 in the world will not creep in behind the plastic bushes, this is where the corrosion is.

Have a look at this previous post and you will see what you are fighting with.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... highlight=

Regards
Slim
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Regular lubrication does it for me....
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
slim123

Post by slim123 »

Regular lubrication is fine and a great idea, before the problem sets in and again after the height corrector is replaced, but it aint gonna fix a knackered one.

Any decent garage will having known the fault, spray the linkages at every service to help keep out the water and dirt.

The best in my opinion is spray on grease, this will leave a sticky residue and help to seal against water getting in.

The biggest problem is, as with lots of parts on the modern cars, is the fact that everything is assembled dry!! not a drop of grease or oil anywhere.

Remember the old Morris?? even the handbrake cables had grease nipples.

Regards
Slim
fangy

Post by fangy »

Thanks for getting back to me so quick. I read the through the link, but I'm still not sure on how to go about this job, could someone give me some tips on whats involved in both methods, changing the plastic clip and changing the height corrector.
Fangy.
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

i paid a garage to change mine as i was pushed for time cost me £95.00 all in :)
slim123

Post by slim123 »

As suggested, it may be better to put your hand in the pocket and pay someone to change it.

The height corrector is fairly easy to change, but unless you have all four wheels on the ground and the car in the air, ie on a ramp, it is a bugger to set the heights up.

If you realy want to change it yourself, you will need an 8mm spanner for the pipes and a torx bit No45 (I think) for the 3 x mounting bolts, looking at the job it is fairly self explanitory.

Regards
Slim
fangy

Post by fangy »

I think I'll book it in to my local garage for this, I've got no way of setting the heights up once I change the height corrector.
Thanks for the help,
Fangy.
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

fangy wrote:I think I'll book it in to my local garage for this, I've got no way of setting the heights up once I change the height corrector.
Thanks for the help,
Fangy.
Prefereably one that 'understands Xantia's' Your profile doesn't give a clue to your location so it's difficult to recommend a good garage.
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The height corrector will be OK - its the linkage - right up to the corrector thats at fault - either siezed or bent.

Certainly BX linkages respond well to lubrication.

Be very carefulk working underneath hydraulic citroens - especially on the height correctors and linkages. IF the car descends unexpectedly it will KILL you - and yes it does happen.
jeremy