The right spheres??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

leithant
Donor 2023
My Cars:

The right spheres??

Post by leithant »

Hi there

I just purchased 2 spheres . They were ordered as rear suspension, Hydracative for 95 VSX. They are in a QH box with serial QHS330.

On the sphere it has printed XT AR HI 2.0I-1.9D 30
QHS330 03/03

The ones on there now are Citroen units

96194435 DM
4-307

Three questions - the numbers don't match - have I got the right ones?
The date is 03/03 is that too old?

There is also scuffing in a circular shape around the end which looks like it might have been pressure tested or regassed. The Box is labelled new, how can I be sure?
06 Citroen C5 Estate 2.2 Hdi Auto
95 Peugeot 306 S16
95 Silver Xantia VSX - now deceased :-(
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi leithant -

1) only genuine boxed OEM Citroen spheres will carry the Citroen part no.
Some of the many sphere manufacturers provides the Citroen part no - together with thir own part no - printed on the sphere.
But thats definately NOT a rule.

2) the spheres you have got are from the Spanish manufacturer LIPMEZA.
http://www2.qha.com/catalogues/lipapp.pdf (scroll down to page 24)
QHS330 is not a serial number - but a type number specifying :
Rear supension sphere Xantia 2.0 Hydractive suspension upto '95
This is also depicted by the abbreviations : XT AR HI 2.0I-1.9D 30
Which means something like Xantia (XT) Arriere (AR) Hidractiva (HI) 2.0I & 1.9D 30bar inflation (30)

3) I'm unsure if the date code 03/03 should be read as production run March 2003 - but it is very likely. In that case the spheres have been stocked for some 3.5 years now. Thats not too bad.

4) Scuffing marks on parts sold & claimed as new parts ? :?
I suspect that the spheres have been in a testjig where you can read out the sphere pressure by applying a hydraulic pressure on the input. That would require some sort of of a counterhold explaining the scuffing mark.
Nothing alarming. In fact should be taken as a positive service : these guys wanted to make sure the spheres had not lost their pressure while stocked.
But a bit clumpsy IMHO. They could have provided some sort of a rubber insert in their tester avoiding scuffing marks.
Last edited by AndersDK on 16 Aug 2006, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
slim123

Post by slim123 »

Take them back!!

I have taken a pair of (customer supplied) quinten hazel Xantia front spheres out of the box and found them to be 1 x Xantia front and 1 x BX rear!! although both labled up as Xantia front.

There are a lot of companys that belive that all spheres are the same, just different pressures, so they will take 2 x 400cc spheres (any 2) charge them to 55- and stick Xantia front on them.

Personaly I wouldnt touch anything in a quinten hazel box, more trouble than a bike with square wheels.

Regards
Slim
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Slim -

In this case the identification in question is stamped on the spheres - not on the box. No doubt then.
It may very well be customary by serious Australian suppliers to track the sphere inflation this way after a bit long stock history - as they cant get a fresh sphere on stock by a local over-night-delivery service. Not even within a few months I fear.

Things are quite a lot different down under - hopping big different :wink:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
slim123

Post by slim123 »

I havent got a clue what the Aussies do, I am speaking from experience in the UK.

Some spheres are a right jumble up of damper valves, simply charged to the pressure required, there are a lot of recharged spheres on the market sold off as new.

As for the original question, if you post a clear photo of the dampers I can probabaly tell you what the spheres are for.

Regards
Slim.
leithant
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by leithant »

thanks for the replies - didn't get email notification for some reason :o

Anyway your info on the codes was kinda what my interpretation was. As for the scuffing, I think you're right they probably were just checking them, it is a place I deal with often and they're usually very good.

I ended up putting them on the car, and they seem fine, so I guess they're good.

As for a photo which part of the sphere would you need to see? Not likely to take them off again I'm afraid.

Are QH not that good just for the reasons mentioned, or do they fail as well?
They were a pretty good price, so I thought I'd take a punt.
06 Citroen C5 Estate 2.2 Hdi Auto
95 Peugeot 306 S16
95 Silver Xantia VSX - now deceased :-(