smoky xantia 2.1td

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davethewheel

smoky xantia 2.1td

Post by davethewheel »

just puchased a 2.1td xantia estate today and it's smoking a lot under accelaration and feels flat (black smoke) strange thing is i've just driven it back 200miles and with a about 20miles to go it stopped smoking and started pulling like a train and felt really good, but the last few miles it's gone flat and smoking again any ideas please :)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

maybe its got water in the fuel
regards malcolm
deian

Post by deian »

which means it's time for a new fuel filter? hows the air filter?
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Sounds like turbo exhaust side seals to me to be honest...
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

havn't checked the filters yet, if it was a case of dirty filters or turbo seals wouldn't it run like that all the time it did run clean for a while and then went dirty again.
just checked the air filter and its brand new so it's not that, it has a strange looking box strapped to the fuel line called a "Ecoflow Ioniser" any idea what this is?
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

A bogus fuel "filter" that is supposed to double your MPG and horsepower ? :lol: :lol:

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

I believe said device should go in the bin!

Try without the device as it could be restricting fuel flow heavily and cause your issue.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

isnt this device on the outside of the fuel line,its just some maganets is it not,if so it dose not affect the fuel supply at all,i have seen a device like that on a diesel skoda falicia
regards malcolm
deian

Post by deian »

Could it be a dirty injector(s) maybe?
When was the timing belt last changed? That drives the fuel pump, maybe the pump is out of sync in some bizare way.
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

just searched on google and citronut is correct the ioniser is just a device that goes on the outside of the fuel line with magnets in it so it doesn't sound like that will be affecting it, the car has service history up untill 114,000 miles and the belt was changed then the car now has 132,000 miles on it, don't think that it can be the pump that's out of sync as the did run fine for a while.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Black smoke means rich running on a diesel - like on a petrol.
No fancy problems like restricted fuelling or defective turbo or defective injectors. Just a plain over-fuelling problem.

As the over-fuelling is intermittent it could be gunked up intercooler pressure signal pipe to the fuel enricher device. This will delay the onset of fuel enrichment and also keep the enrichment on for too long.
Causing the sluggish-umphing-oozing pattern.

Dirty fuel filter will cause fuel starvation - not overfuelling to black smoke.

Finally : any modification meant to increase the fuelling may cause black smoking. This is the A1 first point of error done by most fiddlers as they think black smoke = more engine umph.
Wrong. Black smoke causes the engine to loose 30-50% power. The engine is simply turned into a sooth producing machine.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

anders, were do i find the "intercooler pressure signal pipe" and is it just a case of cleaning it out ?
h2ocooler
My Cars:

Post by h2ocooler »

Could be a problem with the EGR valve, was looking into getting a Mitsu Delicia and that was one of the problems with them, EGR valve opens when it shouldn't or jams open, starves the engine of oxygen so the fuel can't burn properly hence the black smoke!
2005 Renault Laguna II Sports Tourer Initiale 2.0 Turbo Auto Estate
2003 Citroen C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive Captains Chair
2007 Renault Megane 1.6VVT Cabriolet Coupe Dynamique
02 C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive Auto Estate (my Dads) DE_FAPPED
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

i'm sure i read somewere that you can disable the EGR valve but i can't find it now, or can it be serviced?
h2ocooler
My Cars:

Post by h2ocooler »

i know on the delicia's they used to put a plate in the manifold where the pipe to the EGR joins it, not sure if this can be done on a Xantia, you might be able to block it where it joins the inlet manifold for a test with something, least it will show you if it is the EGR valve. Will have a look in my manual in a mo and see if anything is said about them.
2005 Renault Laguna II Sports Tourer Initiale 2.0 Turbo Auto Estate
2003 Citroen C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive Captains Chair
2007 Renault Megane 1.6VVT Cabriolet Coupe Dynamique
02 C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive Auto Estate (my Dads) DE_FAPPED