XUD9 Non turbo cam belt change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

karlsdispatch

XUD9 Non turbo cam belt change

Post by karlsdispatch »

Hi

just replacing the 1.9d engine in my Citroen dispatch and have decided that now is the best time to chang the cam belt and tensioners while it is out of the van and sat on my drive.

However, I have changed many a cam belt before, and on more complex and cramped vehicles, mainly my old BX 16v. I am having great trouble in removing the bottom pulley. Firstly, does the bolt un-do clockwise or anti clockwise? Secondly, the only way in which I can seem to lock the engine from turning is to lock the cam pulley, surely, there is a more direct method of locking the bottom end?

Many Thanks in advance

Karl
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

These pulleys are allways very tight. I usually use a 4' bar extension on the socket flexy bar. There is a hole between the starter and block, difficult to see, into which you can insert a piece of rod to lock the flywheel, but it needs to be the size of the hole if its not going to break. Its much easier to get at if you take the starter off. Alternativly, you can jam a screwdriver into the starter gear ring. You really need a locking pin in the flywheel to make sure you have the timing correct. The bolt is a normal thread, undo anti clockwise.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If the engine is out it can be a nuisance to lock the crank safely to remove the pulley bolt.

To be sure not damaging anything :
1) heat the pulley bolt to soften its locktite
2) NEVER counterhold on belt driven components. Instead lock the flywhel on the ring gear.

The pulley bolt is standard threaded : ccw to remove.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
karlsdispatch

Post by karlsdispatch »

Many Thanks guys

Karl
srx600

Post by srx600 »

Ive found these to work well [url]http://www.sealey-tools.co.uk/instructions/VS1283.PDF[/url] It engages with the flywheel teeth and bolts into position using the starter motor mounts.