XM Hydraulics problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jade Falcon
My Cars:

XM Hydraulics problem

Post by Jade Falcon »

I've posted here before, but not for some time. Last week when I went to take a trip to a club my hydraulic pressure warning light came on, then went off. I thought it was just a glitch, as being on a hill sometimes gives misreadings for fluid levels, but a minute or two later the light was coming on and off, so I returned home. I checked the fluid level. Unfortunately before, my sight glass has never worked, so I was always guessing a little, but now for some reason it is working. The setting said the tank was near empty.

Next day I took the bus into the local dealers and bought two containers of LHM Green fluid. I refilled the reservoir using most of one, and going by the measure. This was Tuesday. The next couple of days I was checking the level and everything was A-Ok.

Today, however, I go to the local market and I get the light again. I pull over and check the level and the sight glass is right down at the bottom AGAIN. Thankfully I'd kept the spare LHM canister in the boot and refilled it. I've now got a bit left in each container. I've deduced by now that I must have a leak somewhere as there's no way it's normal to go through as much LHM in less than a week.

First off, I did the level test as required in the book. Suspension at high, engine idling.

Secondly, I did notice today a small pool of liquid, at what would be about underneath the middle of the front end of the engine compartment.

Any help here? Any ideas what this could be or what it might cost to repair?

BTW, its a 1994 XM 2.0 Petrol Exclusive. On Monday I replaced the two rear tyres, Kwik Fit did the job, Tuesday my fluid level is away. Is there a chance that they did something?
1994-95 Citroen XM 2.0 CT Turbo Exclusive Hatchback
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Well! It could be anything from the Hydraulic Pump to Accumulator Sphere (sometimes called the main accumulator sphere)or pipes/joints in between.... suggest you study where the 'pool' is coming from (it could be flowing along components before dripping) and get back to us.
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
Jade Falcon
My Cars:

Post by Jade Falcon »

Have you any idea if this could be an expensive problem to fix.
deian

Post by deian »

how often can you hear the clicking? does it click more when you brake?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Look at the rubber return pipes first, there is one connected to the regulator, bottom front of the engine, the thing that the front sphere is screwed into. Also the strut leak off pipes but they are at the sides just inboard of the wheels.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

A had an LHM leak from my '93 XM TD12 that was baffling me until I stood underneath it in a grease pit while the engine was running. It turned out to be the joint where the rubber hose attaches to the steel pipe just in front of the accumulator sphere. The hose clamp had cut into the rubber so that it was only leaking when the engine was running. Since I had an old accumulator assembly robbed from a '91 XM lying in the garage, I used parts from that - and discovered that Citroën had done some cost minimising on the later '93 model - the hose clamp on the '91 version had an enclosing rubber strip around the metal part, that prevented it from cutting into the hose.

It could well be worth checking out your car in this area. If you bend the hose near the joint any leak will become more apparent.

//NiSk
'85 BX 16TRS, '91 XM injection 241,000 km (company car), '93 XM TD12 (515,000 km), '98 XM 2.5TD Break (320,000 km)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you need to try and determine where the fluid is comming from before anyone can sudgest what the cost might be,where abouts in uk are you
regards malcolm
Jade Falcon
My Cars:

Post by Jade Falcon »

citronut wrote:you need to try and determine where the fluid is comming from before anyone can sudgest what the cost might be,where abouts in uk are you
regards malcolm
I'm in Ayr, west coast of Scotland. We have a Citroen dealer here, but I know dealer prices are over the top, though strangely enough, they were only marginally dearer for LHM+ fluid than a small autoparts shop. There's a garage that might be able to check it out.

All I know is the leak was dripping at least from near the front centre of the engine compartment. I'll have another look tomorrow and see if I can see anything further.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Cost cutting measures in the 93 model? So what they improved in the electrics they cut elsewhere? :D
Jade Falcon
My Cars:

Post by Jade Falcon »

deian wrote:how often can you hear the clicking? does it click more when you brake?
To tell you the truth, I'm not really sure. The clicking seems 'normal'. I was sitting at a junction today and it was clicking before I shifted into neutral. (It's an auto box).
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

You could try these guys:

French Connection Coachworks
Park Cottage, Park Avenue, Muirkirk, Cumnock, Ayrshire KA18 3RL
Tel: 01290 661808

Bit of a trek from Ayr, but might be better than getting accosted by the dealer. They supposedly do mostly coachworks, but they made some LHM pipes for me, and I'm pretty sure they do mechanical works as well.

If you work in / around Glasgow there are a couple of good independents there - I can give the details if it's any use to you.
Richard W
Jade Falcon
My Cars:

Post by Jade Falcon »

RichardW wrote:You could try these guys:

French Connection Coachworks
Park Cottage, Park Avenue, Muirkirk, Cumnock, Ayrshire KA18 3RL
Tel: 01290 661808

Bit of a trek from Ayr, but might be better than getting accosted by the dealer. They supposedly do mostly coachworks, but they made some LHM pipes for me, and I'm pretty sure they do mechanical works as well.
There's a place in Ayr that does reasonable car repair prices, I'm taking it to them to see what the problem is and what it might cost, but thanks for that address. I could keep it in mind for any other issues I might have with the XM. I've had quite a few things recently, but mostly it was just normal wear and tear, like replacing the rear tyres (one had a nail in it). There hasn't been any series issues.
Jade Falcon
My Cars:

Post by Jade Falcon »

Well I took the car in today and got it back the same day. It turned out two hoses near the regulator were loose. It didn't cost much to fix and they topped up the LHM fluid.

Nevertheless I bought another bottle and will keep it around just in case. :D