Cruise control Xantia V6

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

goldfinche
My Cars:

Cruise control Xantia V6

Post by goldfinche »

Hello everyone. Im posting this again because Im having absolutely no sucess at all in finding any information. A wiring diagram would help or an explanation of how it works. Tried the "files" section on the XM list but it wont load. Please pretty please anyone???
Cheers.
Geoff.
1997 V6. Xantia.
1991 Turbo diesel automatic.BX.
1993 ZX td. slowly dieing.
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Well a basic explanation goes like this. Theres a little computer box under loose money box behind the hand brake. This takes information from various sensors such as road speed, engine speed, brake pedal and column switch lever etc. When you select a cruise speed the computer sends a signal to a vacuum pump situated behind the bumper under the left headlamp.

The vacuum pump sucks the air out of the bellows fitted to the throttle body, which in turn pulls on a rod attached to the throttle cable pulley. thus operating the throttle valve. When the desired speed is reached a valve in the pump holds it in that position.

If the car slows due to a hill or bend for instance, the computer senses this and tells the pump to suck a little more air to to increase the level of throttle, likewise if the car speeds up due to a downward gradient then the computer tells the pump to open its release valve and let some air back into the bellows thus decreasing the level of throttle being held.

If the brake pedal is touched the normally closed switch opens and the computer immediately tells the pump to release its hold on the bellows and throttle control is returned to the driver. The driver can return control to the computer using the column lever which can also be used to increase or decrease the desired cruise speed while the cruise control is active.

Hope this helps
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
goldfinche
My Cars:

Cruise control.

Post by goldfinche »

Hello Stempy what a lovely fellow you are, light at last. BUT now we have a bit of a mystery because the rod on the throttle quadrant cannot actually do anything at all. It enters the plastic tube, with the keyhole shaped slot and is approx 1" short of the end,( the far end inside, if that makes any sense.) even at full throttle. It is not attatched to anything apart from the throttle quadrant and is free to flop about!!
SO from what you say there is something missing, any idea what it could be please? Because I am going to have to describe "it" to someone to get it.
The local main dealer is completely useless, the last run in with them was to try to order a bracket, that was 5 months ago, no luck, still trying and waiting.
Thank you so much for your help, I know that the lack of a cruise control is not of any earth shattering importance but it is anoying, and it does help with the fuel consumption. :roll: :roll:
Cheers.
Geoff.
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

The rod can be adjusted back and forth so it probably just wants moving a bit. It's supposed to be floppy. If you compress the bellows by hand you will get the idea of how it works. Make sure you leave plenty of free play if you do adjust it, it's not supposed to be touching the keyhole when it's at rest.

Lexia ponce

goldfinche
My Cars:

Cruise control

Post by goldfinche »

Hi Stempy many thanks, I am affraid I am more confused than ever, I have tried to draw it but will photograph it tomorrow if possable. There is no means of adjusting the rod it is just a solid bar.[img]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g127/ ... titled.jpg

Cheers.
Geoff.[/img]
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Sorry, my mistake, it's not the rod part itself that adjusts its the recepticle part fitted to the bellows. If you twist it then it should screw back and forth.

Lexia ponce