oily black exhaust emissions - diesel bx

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

huwhop

oily black exhaust emissions - diesel bx

Post by huwhop »

Back again I'm afraid! I had the unfortunate experience of an overpressured coolant system blowing coolant out of the rad, after engine had gone cold, on Monday.By today the main hose had "softened" (it was still rock hard with pressure yesterday if I'm not imagining it).
Started her up tonight..started first time in it's recent raucous way (since pump seal replaced ) and then I went round the back of the vehicle to open the garage door (I'm not suicidal!..well not yet)
I'd noticed a black patch builing up on the concrete drive where the car sits before, but this time ..in a different spot on the smoothish garage floor it was really noticeable. I put my hand a few inches from the tailpipe and within 5 seconds or so it was black and oily. Does this confirm that the head gasket has gone?..or some other nasty..or is it just running v.rich which could be linked to the pump timing or mixture setting and attendant noise. I fear this may be expensive!
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

Before starting to fear the worst (eg Head gasket).Check if your air Filter is clean, and also check your Fuel filter.if both are OK, air may be getting into your system. Head Gasket failure is usually associated with having to top up coolant levels, or oil in the coolant,and or coolant in the oil,combined with overheating problems.Check your Thermostat,it may be stuck in closed position,and need to be replaced. Although most modern Thermostats stick in the open position,their are exceptions.
Edited by - jmd on 20 Dec 2002 02:01:33