AX Radio cassette

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AX_Man

AX Radio cassette

Post by AX_Man »

In my 1996 AX, the cassette player has ceased working since it broke a tape a few days ago :( So it may need replacing (although the radio still works even without the volume knob which blew off in the wind!).

1) How do you remove it as there appears no screws?

2) It is a 2x9 output so can anyone recommend a cheap replacement? I saw this at Maplins http://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx?Men ... &worldid=1

but was wondering whether to scrape around ebay for a 2nd hand one?

It has rear speakers only and I don't have the time to try and fit front ones.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If its a standard DIN fitting there should be 1 or 2 small holes near the outer edges of the front panel, poke some lengths of coathanger wire into these, all at the same time and the catches should release allowing you to pull it out.

Nearly all the new radios have CDs so a secondhand one might be the way forward.
3eme_attaque
My Cars:

Post by 3eme_attaque »

seem to remember using two thin knifes to get ours out, tabs either side of the radio that either push in or out - you should be able to see if you look carefully. as for getting a replacement radio, when i managed to lose the front to one of our CD players (!) i went down the scrap yard and picked up a used "brand name" 4x40w CD player for ten quid (complete with dodgy CD inside that played when i put it in the car :) ) and still works well, worth a try...
Citroen AX 1996, 954cc (Petrol), 76k
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Could be. I seem to remember that the earlier ones had slots rather than holes.
AX_Man

I've got a new radio

Post by AX_Man »

Well I've won a standard Citroen radio/cassette off ebay for £5 that the seller had bought for their AX but replaced car before fitted. It looks in immaculate condition, and I think it is the sister to the cd player in the wife's Saxo so the instruction book should be fine.
Only trouble is there is no installation instructions so any rewiring could be fun :( I have a feeling I could be calling in at Maplins ...

I tried to get a bigger output one (4x40), but I'm not sure what the speakers are capable of and it would be a bind to fit 2 speakers to the front, although I saw some "tweeters" that size wise would fit OK but its routing the speaker cable that puts me off. PS Are "tweeters" like normal speakers except small dinky ones?
1996 Citroen AX Debut and 2001 Citroen Saxo.

I love Citroens!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Tweeters are small speakers especially for High tones. Commonly they are destroyed if connected directly to the speaker output of any amplifier, as they are not meant to handle the high energy power low bass tones (drums etc.). The membrane is simply ripped or the coil fuses.
A simple in-line Bipolar capacitor connected in series with the tweeter is a perfect high tone pass filter.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
AX_Man

Post by AX_Man »

Thanks Anders.

I believe the new radio is 4 x 10W output so its not big.

I might have a go at doing front speakers, although the AX door doesn't allow much room. I think you can get rid of the wine bottle holders (or screen wash in my case :lol:) and fix onto there. Do they need anything to screw into? I was thinking a small block of wood stuck on with no-nails and the speaker screwed onto that. What type of speaker should I get? What is 2 way or 3 way? I was thinking of something like these http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Tab ... 4&doy=15m8?

How do get the speaker cable to behind the head unit? I noticed on the door and on the door frame there were rubber seals. Presumably I would have to get the cable through these, but how do you get it from there to the head unit?

Excuse my basic questions for basic equipment but need to do this very much on the cheap ...

I love Citroens!
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

I'm not familiar with the AX, but the xsara radio doesn't have a display - it uses the multifunctional one on the dashboard. Is the AX the same? if not you won't be able to set frequencies or enter the unlock code if needed.

Ron
2007 C6 2,7 HDI exclusive 95k
2004 C5 VTR HDI 103k
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

Mmm yes, I was just about to say that radio doesn't look like it comes from an AX. I don't see how you're gonna get it to work AX_Man. I'd say your eBay seller bought it thinking, like you, that it would fit in an AX.

Unless it's from some AX I've never seen with a display built into the dash. Image
ImageImage
AX_Man

Post by AX_Man »

Ron

I think you're right. It doesn't have a display panel does it. Oh ****. No wonder I got it at such a bargain price ...

the ebay seller must be laughing even though she got it for her AX. So what was she going to about the display ... I feel some negative feedback coming on ...

Its similar to but not identical to the one in the Saxo instruction book as that does have the display panel ...

Any other suggestions than to flog it back on ebay and try to pick up one with a display?

I love Citroens!
AX_Man

Post by AX_Man »

Its finally arrived after 8 days and it definately has no display.

I'm trying to negotiate a refund with the seller.

I've bid for one listed as coming from a Pug 206, but it is the 2nd radio listed in my wifes Saxo's instructions, and I believe is manufactured by Phillips (the one for the Saxo is quite good as at one stage I had though of getting a JVC or Sony from Halfords).

Will it be alright to wire up only with 2 speakers even though its capable of 4x10W?

I love Citroens!
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

Should be ok. Problems usuallly arise if you wire up to too low an impedance whereas no speakers on the back = infinite impedance for those two channels. I had speakers on the parcel shelf on a peugeot 205 with a plug and socket arrangement so that I could remove the parcel shelf for load carrying. The cd radio was fine with just the front speakers connected and the rear channels open circuit.
2007 C6 2,7 HDI exclusive 95k
2004 C5 VTR HDI 103k
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The radio you bought is from a multiplexed picasso,even if you could live without the display this radio wont work in your car as it is coded to the BSI of the picasso.
AX_Man

Post by AX_Man »

Thanks Wheeler

It gets better and better!

I'm seriously hacked off now as the ebayer still hasn't replied to any emails sent through ebay. If I've not heard by Friday, I'm getting ebay to mediate as they'll have a telephone number (although I know where she works - never use work email addresses on ebay!)

It looks like its originally come from a Citoren garage as its all boxed in a Genuine Citroen parts box. So a very naughty naughty Citroen garage somewhere!

Seeing the AX already has the ISO fitting I'm definately not starting to mess around with extra speakers.

PS How do you wire up too low an impedance?

I love Citroens!
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

Unless it was specifically advertised as an AX radio, there's not much eBay are gonna do.

Anyway, for the sake of the fiver it cost you, is it worth the hassle complaining to eBay? Just sell it on again. At least you know what model it is supposed to fit thanks to Wheeler
ImageImage