xantia 16v cambelt

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

frankielunn

xantia 16v cambelt

Post by frankielunn »

Can anybody point me in the right direction i need to try and change my cambelt myself, i am reasonably competant i think,tried a search but coming up with not much.i got a haynes but they make it look so easy and there seems to be lots of room to do it but i suspect it won't be quite like that,funds are limited so just want to do the belt.thanks.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Sorry Frankie -

Fonds may be even further limited later on - if you do a half job :roll:
I.e. saving money on leaving worn out parts on the engine - may cost you the new cambelt and your engine.
Test all belt idlers/tensioners for any rough running and slack in the bearings. Test the waterpump too - it will bind ever so slightly on the axle if the seal is still good. But absolutely no axle slack is allowed.

Yes the job is quite easy as depicted in Haynes.

There is however a pitfall :
The Xantia engine range have a nasty habit of breaking up in the rubber on the crank pulley. This causes the pulley to slide on the rubber making the pulley timing hole a nonsense.
Instead you should/must use the flywheel timing hole under/behind the starter motor. Hard to find at first glance. Might be necessary to remove starter.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
frankielunn

Post by frankielunn »

thank you Anders,i'll leave it awhile untill my funds rise or my nerve strenghthens,probably another one for the citroen garage tho.