Synergie 1.9tD fuel economy figures.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sub42
My Cars:

Synergie 1.9tD fuel economy figures.

Post by sub42 »

Hi all!

Just back from sunny Cornwall, and I thought that I would publish my fuel economy figures.

Distance travelled 860 miles. Fuel used 90 liters, so I make it 43.44MPG. Not bad I think for a minivan of its size, considering it was fully loaded, and didn't drop below 70mph where the speed limit allowed. When I say loaded, I mean loaded, rear mounted luggage rack thingy on the towbar, and up to the kids armpits in the back. Not bad for a car that has the aerodynamics of a brick, and also that it was all-up at about 1.8 tonnes! Faultless with the exception of the unchanged clutch cable, and a little 'wobble' on tickover when coming to idle from high rpms. Well happy.

PS counted seven VW Sharan/Alhambra/Galaxy clones dead at the roadside, along with two voyagers, and a couple of brand new Discoveries!. I think that most have suffered from over-zealous owners loading the poor things up to the gizzards with kit and roof boxes. The second Disco had two roof boxes and a bike rack with four bikes, plus a large speedboat. Not so good at pulling down houses then eh?
Previous convictions for ferret and giraffe rustling.

Synergie 1.9td SX loaded spec.
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

My SX 1.9Td only managed about 29mpg on last trip to France. Fully loaded as was yours - 5 bikes, 1/2 width top box, full rear load space, 2 adults & 3 kids constant 70 - 80mph autoroute driving.
43mpg is astonishingly good!! Have you had it tweaked in any way?

Gammy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Its generally all down to the way you drive. I suspect that Gammy Leg's, gammy leg, prevents him from putting his foot down to hard! Diesels are capable of very good MPG if driven lightly, the harder you drive them the less efficient they become. Driven at small throttle openings they are running on a very weak mixture which would not work with a petrol engine. Nevertheless that is a good consumption. My 2.1 td XM estate averages 40+ and its best on our Scottish trips has been 55 but I generally drive within the limit and dont try to maintain speed up hill or accelerate hard. But then I am old, I didn't get very good fuel consumption in my youth! :evil:
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

That is good economy for a Synergie, from what I hear on this forum it would be fairly good economy for a Xantia too.

I think the reason Gammy leg doesn't get as good fuel economy as the original poster (sub42) is the roof box, they KILL your fuel economy, things on the towbar at the back don't have such a bad effect, roof boxes are absolutely terrible, even the "aerodynamic" ones.
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

Having given this some thought, I think the topbox was a major factor influencing the overall mpg on this trip. Contrary to Peter's assumption that my metaphorical 'gammy leg' had any effect, I generally do drive quite conservatively. My company TDCI is sitting at 57.7mpg average at the moment which I am very pleased with. I will admit however that I wasn't holding back with the throttle during this sojourn abroad - hell, I was on holiday after all!!

I do find 43mpg in an XUD powered 'Brick' incredible though.

Regards to all

Gammy
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

It's not what speed you keep to as much as what you do for the rest of the journey - don't accelerate up hills, change lanes gently (i.e. don't try and catch the BMW who's just passed you, etc). I do have to add that my summer plaything is mroe economical at 80mph than 60 or 70 (confirmed by on board fuel computer) - it's all about gearing and where the max torque (highest efficiency) is in the rev range relating to the air drag effect. An overgeared car will do worse economy in 5th (or 6th these days) than leaving it one cog down, especially when doing more than the 56mph that "peak" economy is measured!
Daveyb
My Cars:

synergie mpg

Post by Daveyb »

I have a 1998 Exclusive and do 2 or 3 trips to spain a year normally get between 41/43 mpg whether fully loaded or not dont use many motorway but average 55mph over whole trip of 1100 miles.I thick they are brill cars/vanshope the C8 are up to scratch if when I have to change

1998 1.9td Exclusive Synergie
Daveyb