Xsara Airbag Light on and off

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Xsara Airbag Light on and off

Post by rory_perrett »

2001 Xsara HDi.Series 2 The airbag light is on and off in what seems to be a fairly random manner while driving. A quick internet search seems to suggest that this is not uncommon and points to a connector under the drivers seat as being a problem. Looking under the seat there is a mess of wires and I can’t see that it left the factory in that state so I’m wondering if someone has had a go at this already. There are 2 connectors, one yellow and one black each with two wires. There are also some wires that look as if they have been joined (in a not very professional looking way) Can someone confirm how many connector there should be under there?

Thanks

Rory
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

The airbag sensor under the seat is normally orange (it has a very thin orange cable to it), but can also be yellow. Linking the wires is the usual fix to an airbag fault, but this has to be a very good connection, otherwise the system will go into fault mode. A "chocolate block" type connector usually suffices, but the wire is so thin that it can break again. The ideal scenario is to ferrule the wires (small tube crimped onto the end) - like a good crimp connection.
I'd check the "not very professional" connections first...
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Phil

Thanks - the "not very professional" joined wires are orange, I guess someone has been there before. Another job to go on the list once the engine is back in my Xantia.

Rory