XU9 GTI - Valve stem seals

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sooty
My Cars:

XU9 GTI - Valve stem seals

Post by sooty »

Anyone know if the Valve stem seals on a XU9 GTI engine can be renewed without removing the cylinder head.

If so how or what is used to compress the valve springs, knowing that something has tobe put down the plug hole to support the valve and bring the piston up while renewing the seal.

Any info would be appreciated :wink:
Ex 307 2.0Hdi 90 bhp 2003
Ex Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 2008
Ex Vauxhall Insignia SRI 2.0 CDTi 2010
C4 Picasso 1.6 HDi VTR+ 2014
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

how are you going to depress the valve springs as to get to them you will have to remove the cam shaft,and the usal tool for doing this is for engines that you can get to the tops of the valves whilst the cam is in place to hook the tool under,like the the tu engine some one has just been discusing on here
regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

This has always been a hot topic over on the 205gtidrivers forum. The general opinion is no you can't. Many have claimed otherwise but with no proof..

The problem, as Malcolm says, is that the valve springs are buried and to compress these with the head in place is nigh-on impossible. If you could compress them and remove them, you then have the problem of removing the old seals with the valve stem in place. It won't be easy as they grip tenaciously to the top of the valve guide.

For all the hassle and risk, frankly, it's easier, quicker and simpler to slip the head off. Whilst you are there you can lap the valves in and generally overhaul the top end.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...