Xantia 2.0i (Petrol) ran out fuel and now will not start

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stingray
My Cars:

Xantia 2.0i (Petrol) ran out fuel and now will not start

Post by stingray »

During the MOT of my Xantia 2.0i SX Estate today I believe the car ran of fuel (the gauge was very low). The problem started during the emissions test when the tester was trying to hold 3000 revs the engine management light came on ( but did not stay on) and the car failed the first emissions, as he went to do an advanced emissions test (checking oil temp) the engine just ground to halt, assuming it was fuel I put 10 litres into the car but since the car has not started.

When you turn the ignition you can not hear the pump prime (as I used too) and I have taken the fuel line apart at the engine and back by the tank and there no fuel coming out. The obvious answer is that the fuel pump has had it, but I'd really appreciate it if anyone has any other suggestions before I investigate the cost of a new pump and fitting.
deian

Post by deian »

have you checked the fuel filter isn't clogged with crap picked up from the bottom of the tank? also check that the lines aren't clogged.

when you get it running again, personally i'd use some injector cleaner after such an event.

good luck
stingray
My Cars:

Post by stingray »

Update then on where I am:

I have blown through all the fuel lines and filter with an air line, but I think the problem is electrical as I still can not hear the pump prime when I turn on the ignition. I have checked fuse F7 in the engine bay and that is OK, I have checked the inertia cut-off switch and that is OK, but I do not know if there is a relay in the electrical circuit or which relay it is (the Haynes manual only shows a circuit for the fuel gauge !!).

I was going to put 12v directly onto the connector block on top of the fuel tank (under the rear seat) to check the pump but do not know which pin should be positive.

If anyone knows where the fuel relay is, or the correct polarity for the fuel pump connector or if anyone knows of any other reason the pump might not be running I'd be grateful.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Do it the other way around :

Check the voltage/polarity on the pump connector - using a standard probe tip test lamp.
You KNOW its got to have +12V on one of the pins. If not - the pump is NOT getting a +12V feed.

Then pull of the cable connector and find which one has the earth connection. (plug your testlamp into the interior lights socket or the cigar lighter socket to have +12V other side of lamp - to test for an earth)
The other terminal must then be supposed to carry the +12V feed :wink:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
stingray
My Cars:

Post by stingray »

Update 2:

Thanks Andres, I've done as you have suggested with a meter and found 1 side has about 80ohms to earth (a bit high) and the other side does not have 12v, also back at the fuse panel the 10A fuse (F9 - Fuel Pump Relay) does not have 12v on it either.

Does anybody have a circuit diagram for the Fuel Pump circuit that I can then use to chase through? The 2 purpule relays next to the fuse panel also seem to click and I'm assuming one of these is the fuel pump relay.

I'm going to try getting under the fuse panel to find the feed to the F9 fuse.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If you for any reason has disturbed the flywheel TDC sensor or its cabling - it may be a total failure on the ignition side. The ECU then prohibits fuel pump to deliver fuel - to protect the cat converter.

I'd say check if you have ignition sparks from the plug leads. If not - you wont have fuel either.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image