mp3!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

2.1td
My Cars:

mp3!

Post by 2.1td »

Had to smile the other day when I saw an ad' for a new F**d Fester. One of the big selling points (well in fact THE ONLY selling point!) was that it has a mp3 input on the radio. Hmmm I thought, my 1997 Xantia has one of those and it's just the job for plugging in my Sony Bean (couldn't have an ipod... too common, not different enough... Citroen owner you see!).
Be careful!
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

The wife was loking at the new list price for the new focus the other day. You don't get much as standard on any of the range. Seems while most Jap cars are full of stuff like, A/C, Electric windows front & back, multi air bags (inc side) multi CD cnager inc MP3, alloys, part leather interior, electric mirrors, chrome this & that etc. Ford seem content to give you front electric windows and passenger side electric mirror on their Focus DCI as standard. Everything else is part of a 'package' to suit you. No wonder they're loosing money and may be selling Jaguar.
The wifes got a C4 I've got a ZX TD SX!!!!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Try the base-model Ka. It is cheap, nasty and has nothing apart from the essentials needed to drive it. The seats are dreadful, it is noisy and actually more poorly screwed together than even the best of BL's offerings in the 70s. It is absolute rubbish with no saving graces whatever. It has nothing to recommend it.

The coolant radiator is the size of a heater matrix and in consequence the fan runs almost continuously in hot weather.

My Dad bought a brand-new one after selling his old Pug 205 GRD. He was so disappointed with it he sold it to a friend at a bargain price and asked me to find him another Pug 205 Diesel.

He now has a 205 D Junior. The base-model 205. What a difference! Quiet, well screwed together, lovely comfortable seats and every other Pug 205 attribute. This 13 year old 100K Pug is miles in front of any new Ka in every way, including fuel economy.

F**ds: I wouldn't touch 'em with a barge-pole.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

:evil:

Some of us dont have a choice :cry:
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
2.1td
My Cars:

Identity crisis!

Post by 2.1td »

Hi mezuk04! You say some of us don't have a choice... I presume you are refering to your "company" Fester? You could always do what I saw a few weeks ago... saw an 04 Corsa where the owner (well I ASSUME it was the owner!) had taken off the Vauxhall badges (it still had Vauxhall on the steering wheel and Corsa on the tailgate which gave the game away a bit!) and put Renault badges on instead! Maybe you could put Chevrons on your Fester? They didn't do a very convincing job though (well, didn't fool me!!!!).
:roll:
Last edited by 2.1td on 07 Aug 2006, 10:56, edited 1 time in total.
Be careful!
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

:lol:

Its a shame that I dont have my Xantia anymore, however parting with it was the best decision as it allowed me to move out of home and subsequently for the gf to move in (however not sure if thats good hehehe)
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Ford must be going back to the seventies with all the different packages, L,XL,GL,GXL, remember all that?

I'm still not sure why they produce the Ka, but I'm always impressed that they can get away with it and people do actually buy them-I suppose it's because they're cute looking and small!!

I believe it's the only new car available on the UK market that isn't rated or approved for towing- that tells you something about the way they're built.......The old ones were fun in a cramped 60's retro-drive sort of way, with the rattly old pushrod kent motor-a mate had one for a while and it was a real throwback to the 105E/107E, but they've sadly now ditched the old lump of iron in favour of a boring Zetec :( .......being cramped inside a Ka is very much like being cramped inside a 107E in fact, but with even less back seat space!!
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

bxbodger wrote:Ford must be going back to the seventies with all the different packages, L,XL,GL,GXL, remember all that?

I'm still not sure why they produce the Ka, but I'm always impressed that they can get away with it and people do actually buy them-I suppose it's because they're cute looking and small!!

I believe it's the only new car available on the UK market that isn't rated or approved for towing- that tells you something about the way they're built.......The old ones were fun in a cramped 60's retro-drive sort of way, with the rattly old pushrod kent motor-a mate had one for a while and it was a real throwback to the 105E/107E, but they've sadly now ditched the old lump of iron in favour of a boring Zetec :( .......being cramped inside a Ka is very much like being cramped inside a 107E in fact, but with even less back seat space!!
ka is so cheap though....my girlfriend is looking to buy a new car....there are KA's going brand new for 5k....(though strikes me as still being £4999 to dear :x )

funny isnt it citroens used to have the reputation for being dirt cheap and unreliable now there are many many cars far far worse than any citroen :shock:

citroen is becoming a prestige brand :D
M reg xantia 1.9td 266000 miles expired
R reg xantia 1.9td 186000 miles veggy power expired
L reg renault clio 1.9D 91000 miles expired at 107000 miles
x reg clio 15d veggy power bottom of the car rotted through
06 c5 2.2 TD wowser so much power and comfort 160000 miles
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I think the Ka must have been pretty much the only car on the UK market with a pushrod engine too. I thought there wasn't room for a Zetec, I bet it's a tight fit.

I know "mp3 ready" means "has 3.5" jack in the stereo" but what exactly does "voice controlled" mean? To me "voice controlled" means something like KITT but that's obviously not the way Ford see it.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

reblack68 wrote:I think the Ka must have been pretty much the only car on the UK market with a pushrod engine too. I thought there wasn't room for a Zetec, I bet it's a tight fit.
In fact it's a 1.3 Duratec these days, a "developent" of the small Zetec and incredibly similar. Surprisingly an 8V unit whereas the Zetec was a 16V engine.

IMO the Duratec is the best part of a Ka and not a bad engine. It's not in the same league as the XU or TU but then Ford engines never were...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
2.1td
My Cars:

"Cheap" Ka?

Post by 2.1td »

Interesting what you say "weety" about Ka's being so cheap... £5k ish... but for not a lot more you can get a new Fiat Panda and they don't seem half bad. Citroen seem to me to have priced the C1 too high, especially the top end ones... nearly 9 grand list price for an HDI Rhythm! (yes, I know all about the "lets play games with the salesman and get a deal"... what a farce) Do they think we are made of money?! :roll: By the way bxbodger, don't think you can fix a tow bar to a "Smart for two" can you? You can a bike rack tho'!
Be careful!
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

reblack68 wrote: I know "mp3 ready" means "has 3.5" jack in the stereo" but what exactly does "voice controlled" mean? To me "voice controlled" means something like KITT but that's obviously not the way Ford see it.
Ford seem to be quite cunning at this (IN MY OPINION), on the car list I had the choice of identical Ford Fiestas, the only difference was between a Zetec (which had A/C) and a Zetec Climate (which has A/C to), so obviously I thought I will have the better model up so chose the Climate.

I was a bit surprised when I saw NO sort of 'Climate' (Control) for the A/C. To me the term "Climate" suggests you control the temperature of the cabin, just like the Xantias, just like the Honda I drove and the Toyota Corolla. However this just had a standard round dial with the colour band rather than temperature numbers. I felt a bit cheated!

Same with my old work mate who works for a different civils company. Hes just chose a Ford Focus 2.0TD Zetec Climate and once again its just a coloured band rather than numbers. So no real climate just A/C flowing.

I hate Ford's.
weety
My Cars:

Re: "Cheap" Ka?

Post by weety »

2.1td wrote:Interesting what you say "weety" about Ka's being so cheap... £5k ish... but for not a lot more you can get a new Fiat Panda and they don't seem half bad. Citroen seem to me to have priced the C1 too high, especially the top end ones... nearly 9 grand list price for an HDI Rhythm! (yes, I know all about the "lets play games with the salesman and get a deal"... what a farce) Do they think we are made of money?! :roll: By the way bxbodger, don't think you can fix a tow bar to a "Smart for two" can you? You can a bike rack tho'!
according to the paper today C2 HDI now has £1700 cashback plus £700 trade in reducing the price down to about 6k

you can get fiat panda diesel for 6k (with air con costing 500 quid more)

citroen price high and then discount heavily with cashback to actually sell the cars.....C3 HDI was only a k more than the C2....

the citroen offers only run for august.....
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I'm sure Weety is trying to depress me further.

I wish I could of had a Citroen Picasso for £8k, thats roughly £3,300 less than this crappy s**t slowy tinny poxy tiny tacky Fiesta!!!!
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

mezuk04 wrote:I'm sure Weety is trying to depress me further.

I wish I could of had a Citroen Picasso for £8k, thats roughly £3,300 less than this crappy s**t slowy tinny poxy tiny tacky Fiesta!!!!
nah the HDI picasso is about 9.5k ( i think) so thats only £1500 cheaper than your er lovely fiesta........

you would get £700 trade in for your fiesta :D