xantia wheel bearings

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

frankielunn

xantia wheel bearings

Post by frankielunn »

Hello,need some help again,i can hear a rumbling sound from front offside wheel area when i'm driving, well at least it sounds that its coming from there,i put new discs and pads on to try and rectify it thinking that it might be that, incidently they needed doing,but the noise is still there intermitantly,so i think it might be bearings,looked in haynes and it says remove front hub carrier and track rods ect ect, but it looks a hell of a job,haynes do say they are sealed and should last life of car..anyway i suppose it would be wishful thinking to think that there is another way i'm hopeing that somebody could tell me if there is another way,thanks
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

There is no other way. The bearing is a pressfit inside the hub held with a security lockring. It is possible to do it while hub is still fitted on car - but it certainly doesnt make it easier.
As the drive axle is fitted thru the bearing - then driveaxle must come off for replacing the bearing.

So you thought there was a secret hidden bolt making the job easy for the profs - NOT :lol:

One of those jobs best left to a garage - unless you are really determined to do it.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
frankielunn

Post by frankielunn »

Thanks anders you just confirmed what i suspected.... yes that one is best left to a garage i'm afraid.i was only asking just in case i could have saved myself some dosh.
DaveW
My Cars:

Post by DaveW »

Anders,

Does the Xantia differ greatly to the BX as I have done a couple of the latter leaving the hub on the car. Fortunately I have a good collection of strong, long bolts and distance pieces for drawing the old bearing out and pulling the new in. Didn't seem to be a particularly difficult job.
A trick I found to ease the extraction of the large cir-clip is to first pull the bearing into the hub as hard as it will go (having first given it a good dose of paraffin).

Dave.
Xantia Forte 1.8i, 16v X reg.(09/2000) 93K, aircon
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

i've got exactly the same problem on my xantia pretty sure it's the nearside bearing on mine i've been quoted £85.00 +vat to do the job but i'm still thinking of tackling it myself as i'm such a tight git :D
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Its the same bearing Dave -

The collection of tools you have is not at hand for the average DIY'er. I can do it with even less tools - as I use an air driven impact chisel. Sort of pushes the old bearing out of the hub.

Still - its a job with a rather high "spanner rating". And it is quite easy to damage the new bearing if you do an incorrect job.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

to make sure you replace the right side jack one side front wheel just off the ground,with the car on level ground start the engine,put it in first gear,let the hand brake off and bring the clutch up to engage the drive gently,then do the same again with the other side you will find which is the noisy bearing
regards malcolm
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

citronut wrote:to make sure you replace the right side jack one side front wheel just off the ground,with the car on level ground start the engine,put it in first gear,let the hand brake off and bring the clutch up to engage the drive gently,then do the same again with the other side you will find which is the noisy bearing
regards malcolm
nice idea citronut, as i tried jacking it up but what with the disc's dragging it's difficult to tell which one is bust, i'll give that a go on sunday :D
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

its the only way to make sure which side has gone as the noise transmits,the only other way is replace one only to find the noise still there when you have finnished,mind you only have one wheel off the ground at one time and be prepared to stamp on the brakes if the car tries to take off
regards malcolm
frankielunn

Post by frankielunn »

ok i'm still going on about my front wheel bearings... if it's that,anyway i tried the previous post but no noise also spun the wheel by hand and rocked it to and fro...still no noise or play...so i still get the rumble when driving, i put her in neutrel and costed down hill still rumbling so its not gearbox.. funny thing the noise does'nt speed up when the car goes faster and is still there when braking and going around corners thereby taking up some slack...do you think it might be the pump rumbling or someother bearing, i recently changed the LHM and so far as i am aware it didnt do it before but noise definately a distant grating or rumbling...apologise for my long wided vague description,thanks.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

A noisy wheel bearing - or RHS (long) driveaxle support bearing - will have a noise directly related to the car's speed.
So will noise from CV joints.

If this noise you have is NOT related to car speed - then your must go looking for anything else. That could be a worn engine mount allowing an engine part to grate on a chassis member somewhere.

Try the exhaust : the front downpipe joint can make rather loud noises on the smallest movements.
frankielunn

Post by frankielunn »

thanks anders but the noise is related to rolling speed, not stationary with engine running, and UP to a point does not seem to increase with speed, but it's a difficult one...my bet is its still a wheel bearing so i think i really am going to have to spend in a garage at least when its done thats one bearing out of the way even if it turns out not to be that.
frankielunn

Post by frankielunn »

finally done the front offside wheel bearing, been driving around for a couple of weeks listening to all of the noises which eminate from a xantia and zeroed in on the bearing and bit the bullet and stripped the front hub bearing assembly down...unfortunately i wrecked 2 new bearing attempting to press them in myself so i got a local garage to do it...well worth the £20...now its all back together great stuff and no rumbling noises...was'nt impressed with the old bearing that i took out it was very dry i thought they were sealed for life,....anybody attempting this job will find it relatively easy untill it comes to the pressing of the bearing and is best to leave it to a proffessional also if you can afford it buy 2 bearings and a lower ball joint just in case......could swear i heard a rumble on the other side now!!! oh well maybe next time.