Xsara 1.4 - oil in my coolant... :o(

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

__CA__

Xsara 1.4 - oil in my coolant... :o(

Post by __CA__ »

I really don't have much luck with French cars!

I have a '99 Xsara 1.4 West Coast. It's done 154k miles but still drives really well.

I have just changed the coolant (the old coolant was just plain water and the expansion tank was scummy with dark brown gunk).

Refilling it and bleeding it was no problem, but when I ran the engine to get it up to temperature with the temporary header tank still in place I noticed little globules of fresh oil floating to the surface of the header tank.

There is no oil cooler on this engine (I'd been told that they can fail and cause these symptoms). So does that mean the HG has gone?

Whilst I didn't get a clear tell-tale sign of bubbles in the header tank when revving the engine, it did seem to pressurise very quickly and overflow out of the top of the tank, leaving it short of coolant when the level then rapidly dropped away.

Your thoughts, as ever, would be appreciated :)

At least changing the HG on this engine looks like a complete doddle compared to my last Citroen, a ZX 2.0 16v... :roll:
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Even a needle tip drop of oil will look like that in your cooling water.
Its very common that the cooling system will sort of "burb" rather un-politely straight up your face - when you leave off the cap while engine is warming up.

I'd say : calm down, stop shivering and leave your wallet where it is for now.
Then drive the car at least a week while you keep topping up the coolant the first 2 days from now (but no more !). The cooling system will automatically expell the surplus water when engine is at working hot temperature - and the air will keep burping out while driving.
Finally you will se the fluid level is settling at a level rather low from the cap level.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
micitroen
My Cars:

Post by micitroen »

If the car is losing that much oil then you would expect the oil level indicator( dipstick ) to show this as well. Normally oil will show itself (apologies for teaching suck eggs etc) as a white scummy look as it emulsifies with the water. The 'oil' you have seen might just be the remains of old bits and pieces that are being rinsed off the cooling system as the new coolant (with anti-freeze I expect) settles in and washes the system clean.....on the other hand it could be the H/Gasket.....I think I'd be inclined to do as Anders has said....sit tight and watch what happens it might just be a case of underfilling?airlock and that will work its way out.
You don't say whether you changed the thermostat and this would be worth doing. For the sake of a few pounds and a couple of mins (oh alright then maybe a bit more) its worth doing.
Mike

1993 BX TXD EST mmm. nice. 1990 Bx 19TZD Auto Lhd (now lives in France) 1998 Xsara 1.9d lx.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the air in the cooling system canot escape withe the rad or header tank cap in place,you will know when you have bled the system properly as the coolant will be calm when you take the cap of after the fan has cut in and then back out again,you shou;d not use the car untill the coolant is calm as you risk cooking the hole engine
regards malcolm