Clutch judder

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DaveW
My Cars:

Clutch judder

Post by DaveW »

The clutch on my 1.9 TD Xantia behaves in strange way.
When letting out the clutch it picks up very smoothly to start with then there is a period where it judders and finally, for the last n'th. of pedal movement, works smoothly again.

Before I got it onto the road again it had been stood outside for over six months and I wondered if during this inactive period rust may have formed on the shaft splines.
There is no sign of oil at the bottom of the bell housing and I have given it a gentle 'burn' just in case the plates were contaminated.
There is no sign of slip under load.

Any Ideas ?
Anyone else experienced this ?

Dave.
Last edited by DaveW on 03 Aug 2006, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.
Xantia Forte 1.8i, 16v X reg.(09/2000) 93K, aircon
deian

Post by deian »

try starting off in 4th gear (gently) and see if it stalls or slips, i'd say after standing for so long it could be rust on the clutch cable and link, lube and try the clutch test in 4th again, run it for a week and see if it disappears. good luck
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I'm on the same line :

Try for a couple of days drive it with a speed where you cant really decide if it should be in 3.rd or 4.th. That will make you use the clutch much more and make the splines shine again.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
DaveW
My Cars:

Post by DaveW »

Thanks for the replies.

I have been driving the car for a couple of months now (1,250 miles) and had hoped that it would sort itself out but there does not seem to be any change.
It also judders badly when changing down using the gearbox to slow the car but I've only noticed this when going from third to second.
The car drives fine other than that, no noticeable problem in the higher gears changing up or down and, as I said, no sign of slippage under load or when overtaking.

Forgot to mention that it has a push type clutch with an auto adjuster.

Dave.
Xantia Forte 1.8i, 16v X reg.(09/2000) 93K, aircon