front brakes on my BX...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

simonineaston
My Cars:

front brakes on my BX...

Post by simonineaston »

Hi,
under 1000 miles ago, I had a set of front brake pads fitted. Afterwards, I noticed that the FNS pads where rubbing enough to smell them, as well as make the disk too hot to touch, but as I was travelling through France at the time, I didn't have the chance to look more closely at the caliper... After I got home I forgot about the this issue, as much due to the fact that the smell had gone as my bad memory.
Last week I took the car for it's MOT test and lo! it needed new FNS brake pads. I asked the mechanic if he had seen any symptoms in the caliper that could explain the accelerated wear, and he said that he couldn't and that everything was fine. Should I take his word for it, and hope that whatever was sticking is miraculously fixed itself, or should I do some more investigation, in which case, what should I look out for?
cheers,
Simon ('91 TZD Turbo)
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

If you ignore the trouble it will cost you another set of pads. Check that the handbrake cable is moving smoothly within the outer. One or the other may be starting to breakup.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I have had lots of these problems on my BX'es.
The only thing that seems to solve it - is to replace the caliper slide bushings - and make sure the caliper slide bores are cleaned and freshly greased.
Another common problem is the front hub surface rusting - exactly where the slide bushings goes on. Roadsalt and water makes for rust build up between the end of the bushings and the hub surface - making the bushings to tilt slightly.
Remedy is to carefully rub down with a file over both caliper mounting holes to clean the surface and make sure its even & square over both holes.

This is valid for all other models with sliding calipers as well.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
simonineaston
My Cars:

Post by simonineaston »

Thanks, guys - I'll roll my sleeves up this week-end...
cheers,
Simon ('91 TZD Turbo)