Gearbox info reqd. details and codes

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sooty
My Cars:

Gearbox info reqd. details and codes

Post by sooty »

Where can I find a site which shows details and Model codes for the gearboxes used in the Peugeot and Citroen range.

IE: "BE3" what models use these gearboxes and its ratio's
Ex 307 2.0Hdi 90 bhp 2003
Ex Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 2008
Ex Vauxhall Insignia SRI 2.0 CDTi 2010
C4 Picasso 1.6 HDi VTR+ 2014
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

The BE3 was used in most BXs and Xantias and to my knowledge also in 405s and 205s (and possibly 406 as well?).
There is also a BE1, which is easily distinguished from the 3 due to the location of reverse. Reverse on the BE3 is across to the right and down directly below 5th gear whilst the BE1 is across to the left, lift the ring under the knob and and go upwards so it's alongside first.
There seems to be multiples of ratios as I have heard some guys building trackwork cars talking about using the box off one car into a different one to give it better performance in lower gears or higher top speed. The final drives are also different.
IIRC, I have seen a list of gear ratios on various models in a Haynes manual on BXs so that may be worthy of a look.
The transmissions are supplied by ZF so even a check on their website may reveal some info.
I did once sell a BE1 box to a guy to fit into a later BX and it was found on installation that due to it coming from a non Efi car, the flywheel had to be changed so as to operate the CAS and there was no mounting holes in the bellhousing to mount the CAS either which caused major dramas.
It should also be noted that the gear lever and linkages off a BE1 are not compatable with a BE3. Just mentioning in case you're thinking of swapping one with the other.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!