xantia brake discs size

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

frankielunn

xantia brake discs size

Post by frankielunn »

Hello,
I'm new but follow your comments and suggestions avidly as i am the owner of a nice mk 1 xantia 2.0 16v hatchback,fortunately my suspension seems to be behaving compared to others that i read about but i do have the braking snatching problem which i think i will look at and do something about(plunger under the brake pedal)anyway my request is a brake related problem..i am looking at buying on ebay or online shops some front brake discs and pads but no one can make thier minds up what size the fronts are some say vented 266mm some say 283 mm some say solid some say vented some say not estate some say 16v same as estate.... i think you get my drift oh and HAYNES manual say all are 266mm no mention of solid or vent so far as i can see, maybe i missed something.....anyway can someone enlighten me....much obliged in advance.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Problem with these sort of spare paets - to any car - is that the manufacturers keeps changing suppliers, size & specifications - during production run.

There is no "brake disc for Xantia front '93 on".
There is a whole selection of different front discs for the Xantia depending On :
1) engine type/size fitted
2) production year
3) ABS system or not
4) hydractive/antisink/none type suspension
5) chassis type (saloon/break)

- you may speak now :lol:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
frankielunn

Post by frankielunn »

thank you anders,my car is a 1998 abs model with alloys and fatter tyres so i suppose that could mean that estate model size would be appropriate but would the 283 size fit my calipers,as i live in the welsh country side i cant just strip them down check them out and wander down the road and buy a set i have to rely on the manufactures supplying me with the right ones by mail,
thanks for reply.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The 2.0 16v hatchback should have 283mm discs....

My 1997 TD hatchback should have 266mm discs but it doesnt, it has the 283mm discs which it should only have if it was an estate or a 2.0 16v.

There is a third possible size for discs, 288mm, these aren't the same thickness as the 283mm. The different sized discs are not interchangable without swapping pads and calipers too.

Why not remove a wheel and measure the discs you have, I presume you've got the tools / experience to do that if you're going to replace the discs yourself.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Xantia 2.0 16V '98 uses 283dia / 22thick discs.
Its the same discs that goes on the 1.9TD.
Meaning it would be very likely to find this disc on stock at most dealers.

Activa models are also 283dia - but 26thick.
The HDI 110Bhp uses 288/28 discs.
The 90Bhp HDI - and the 8V engine variants - uses 266/20 discs

All Xantia front discs are vented.
From '95 on - all Xantia rear discs are 251/12 (solid).

When you receive your goods - and have stripped the car down ready to remove the old discs : compare the diameter of old/new discs - just to be sure you can return any wrong goods in perfect shape - no oily fingers & scratches.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
frankielunn

Post by frankielunn »

thank you one and all you have helped me tremendously.
f00lzz
My Cars:

Re: xantia brake discs size

Post by f00lzz »

frankielunn wrote: i do have the braking snatching problem which i think i will look at and do something about(plunger under the brake pedal).
If you are refering to the modification which requires the removal of the 'plunger spring' and the replacement with a solid tube... then I can certainly recommend doing so. I have done this mod to both my Xant's and the improvement is amazing, especially in the auto 3.0.
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
frankielunn

Post by frankielunn »

yes thats the one but just noticed that my brake pedal is not under tension its flopping down towards the floor as if there is no spring unit in it i'll have to look at that more closly tomorrow but brakes work ok tho...anyway refering to my original post i just removed wheel and got a surprise the brake disc is wafer thin and pads non existant so need to do the job immediately thought there was something up thats why i originally enquire... but have to wait a couple of days before eurocarparts can deliver to me in my present location....looked on ebay but they only advertising 266mm discs... oh forgot to say i measured mine and they are 283mm.
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

The spring function only comes into play when you press the brake pedal... it is possible to raise the pedal easily and allow to flop back.
Ian

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
frankielunn

Post by frankielunn »

Thanks that explains a few things, suppose thats why discs and pads wear out quickly on the xantia they sure are powerfull brakes,its a new car for me only had it a few months but got a bill for new discs and pads only dated nov 2005 and less than 5k miles done since,had a toyota carina for 5 years before and never had a problem the whole time untill someone ran up the rear end( incidently he was uninsured)and wrote it off... thats how i ended up with a citroen.
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Remember that the vast majority of the braking is done by the front brakes only!! And if you carry out the mod to the pedal you will be further amazed at how good Citroen brakes can be!
Ian

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
1999 Xantia 1.9TD