Cleaning Up !

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Cleaning Up !

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Take a look at this article I found, where the gentleman concerned, should have tried some more elbow grease.

It is billed as the ultimate cleaning product – capable of wiping out even the most stubborn stains.

But even trusty Cillit Bang could not get the glue off 75-year-old Ronald Cox's kitchen floor tiles. So in desperation Mr Cox decided to use petrol instead – and promptly blew up his house.

The boiler pilot light in his living room ignited the fumes despite the pensioner having used just an eggcup full of the highly flammable liquid.

And with a bang louder than the cleaning product's colour scheme an explosion ripped through his semi-detached house in Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire.

The blast blew out the front bay window, lifted up part of the kitchen ceiling and caused structural damage to an inside wall.

But Mr Cox, who is partly deaf and suffers from angina, had no idea what had happened until a neighbour came to see if he was all right.

Dave Micheson, who lives a few doors away, found Mr Cox standing shocked but unhurt in the kitchen.

He said: 'I couldn't believe it when he was just standing there.' Mr Cox said his local hardware store recommended Cillit Bang and when it did not have the desired effect, he tried petrol. 'I only had a cupful,' he protested.

Humberside Fire and Rescue Service said: 'There are many products available which can do such jobs perfectly – nobody should ever try to use petrol as a cleaner.

At least he was alright despite his accident.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Here's a BBC report on the incident.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/5234552.stm
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

By heck #-o

Fortuantly he wasnt hurt!
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Yes, he was very lucky.
PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Post by PicassoPigeon »

Yes but did he get the glue off? :D
2002 Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0HDi
125,000 miles
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

gav425 wrote:Yes but did he get the glue off? :D

\:D/ [-X
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

You should have seen me a couple of weeks ago.
I was soldering a chassis i'm making, with a bit of rags soaked in paint thinner some 2 feet way i was using to clean the grease from the tubing. It was neat when i started to smell something burning :twisted: (my MIG welder sputters like mad)
Lucklily i had the 5L plastic can of thinner 3 meters behing me (but i had a straw pack 1 foot away at a particular welding spot) [-o< \:D/ Yeah, i know i'm unconscious (but a lucky sob :P )
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

mezuk04 wrote:

\:D/ [-X
No -
Back home from hospital he'll be on the cleaning job again using petrol :twisted:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
nick
My Cars:

Re: Cleaning Up !

Post by nick »

nobody should ever try to use petrol as a cleaner.
No, far too expensive.
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

406 V6 wrote:You should have seen me a couple of weeks ago.
I was soldering a chassis i'm making, with a bit of rags soaked in paint thinner some 2 feet way i was using to clean the grease from the tubing. It was neat when i started to smell something burning :twisted: (my MIG welder sputters like mad)
Lucklily i had the 5L plastic can of thinner 3 meters behing me (but i had a straw pack 1 foot away at a particular welding spot) [-o< \:D/ Yeah, i know i'm unconscious (but a lucky sob :P )
stupidest thing i ever did i was when i was trying to free of the handbrake adjuster on an XJS......handbrake on those is on the right hand side of the drivers seat quite a clever little thing....

anyway the handbrake barely held (certainly not enough to get through the mot) and the adjuster is just behind the handbrake lever inside the car...

it was corroded really badly so i soaked a rag in wd40 and wrapped it round the adjuster to give it a really good soak...

next day it still wasnt free so i decided to apply heat with one of those little gas cannisters, as i applied the flame the carpet started to catch fire so i grabbed a rag to swat the flames out.....

next thing i know i have a ball of flame in my hand as ...yes....i had picked up the rag soaked in wd40

somewhat suprised i threw the rag accross the garage..... so now i have two small fires....fortuntely i put both of them out quite easily but i still cant believe i was so dopey in the first place!..............
M reg xantia 1.9td 266000 miles expired
R reg xantia 1.9td 186000 miles veggy power expired
L reg renault clio 1.9D 91000 miles expired at 107000 miles
x reg clio 15d veggy power bottom of the car rotted through
06 c5 2.2 TD wowser so much power and comfort 160000 miles
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Well if anything, it will now be more difficult to get off. :)